Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Head Gasket

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I need to find out if local honda dealer has lower timing covers in stock or if I'd hafta order it and wait. Ughhhhhhhhhh
I purchased one last week from the local honda dealer for $25. Included seal and was in stock.
Old 10-06-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
Why are the bumper cover and headlight out?

Got broken head bolt...or maybe loose head bolts?
Was it a Honda head gasket...or aftermarket?

Poor finish on the head machining the last time? (A local machine shop ruins every head we send)
I find it easier to remove the alternator through the headlight hole. It takes me all of 5 minutes to take off the bumper and take out the headlight. I'm not a pro in a shop, and I'm in no real rush, so anything to give me extra maneuverability, I'll do.

One thing that was a bit disconcerting. I have head studs, and I checked torque after 2000 miles and again at 5000 miles after installing. The disconcerting thing was 2 of them took zero effort to loosen when I was taking the head off.

The ones at number 5 and 6 were the ones in question. However, all the signs of leakage were on cylinder 1, whereas the ones in question are below and above cylinders 2 and 3, respectively.

The machine shop I take my heads to haven't failed me yet. I blame myself for allowing slight overheating conditions both when I had water passage leakage and this last time for not taking action.

As far as the gasket I used, for head gasket, I've used nothing but Honda OEM from either Majestic or the local dealership.
Old 10-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to grab coffee this morning. Good thing my car hooked me up with some cappuccino

Old 10-07-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

eyouch!
Old 10-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Would it be safe to helicoil the head bolt holes? If not, I'm gonna blow my car up.
Old 10-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be safe to helicoil the head bolt holes? If not, I'm gonna blow my car up.
Are any actually stripped?

Sure, it's an iron block. If you can find the appropriate thread size and it doesn't look like it will be scary thin, go for it.
(SOME engines have unusual size head bolts)

Also, time-sert is a great thread insert IMO but probably more expensive to start with a whole kit
Old 10-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

You sure its iron? I thought it was an aluminum block. 3 of the 10 are stripped out of the block. Stripped out at 14 ft-lbs, that is
Old 10-07-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Magnet check
Old 10-07-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh damn

PSA: Your oil is not supposed to look like this
I think somebody poured diarrhea into your oil. Hostile neighbors maybe?
Old 10-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

My dog ate a bug and that was the result
Old 10-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezone
Magnet check
Hrm.. You have me second guessing myself. I'll have to check tomorrow.

In any case, I'm gonna have to figure out how to either helicoil it or timesert the affected holes. Timesert seems like a better fix, but I'd have to get crafty with installing them since the threads are about... a half in deep, and the timesert is designed to sit flush with the surface..

asl;dkfja;ksdjhn;alkasdv;klahj;oqwecvlasvdc;kaw;er wl;kjfawlfjeasd
Old 10-08-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

In any case, I'm gonna have to figure out how to either helicoil it or timesert the affected holes. Timesert seems like a better fix, but I'd have to get crafty with installing them since the threads are about... a half in deep, and the timesert is designed to sit flush with the surface..
On my old D16Y8 (6th gen) one of the head bolt block hole's was stripped. I drilled out, tapped the block hole and used one and a half helicoils (M10 x 1.25 kit IIRC) one on top of the other. I called the manufacturer and a tech said it's okay to stack them that way. He also said it's okay to use red thread locker to keep them in place if the head needs to be removed and replaced in the future. I wanted to get as many coils on the head-bolt threads as possible and stacking them accomplished that.

Not sure if the depth from the top of the deck downward on a D17 is the same as a D16? Hopefully it is.
Old 10-08-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, m10-1.25

Howd you get the other helicoil all the way in? They're ranged at the bottom to help install the bolt, no? Just snip one and use a scribe or something to drive it in?
Old 10-08-2017

Howd you get the other helicoil all the way in? They're ranged at the bottom to help install the bolt, no? Just snip one and use a scribe or something to drive it in?

Man, I can barely recall what I did last week let alone three years ago when I did that head gasket..lol.

1) IIRC: I used a small diameter drill bit to measure depth from top of deck, used a ruler to measure depth in millimeters from above mentioned drill bit.
2) When using the recommended sized drill bit listed on the helicoil kit I used tape to mark the depth in millimeters (from #1) to mark stopping point.
3) I used the same measurement (from #1) and tape on the tap tool to mark stopping point.
4) I used the same measurement (from #1) to mark the length of total stacked helicoil..which ended up as roughly one and a half. Unfortunately, I can't remember whether I inserted the 1/2 sized one or the fulled sized one in first. I cut the (half) coil with a very good quality Craftsman small dyke tool: https://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/im...&wid=64&qlt=50

As far as the tangs I think I suctioned them out with my good ole' (20 years old) Kirby vacuum.
You could call whoever manufacturer's helicoils and ask them if they have longer ones (single piece) in the same diameter and pitch needed. PDF chart: http://www.helicoil.in/pdf/HeliCoil%20Catalogue.pdf

Here's a related thread..see reply#2: https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...nserts-818532/

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-08-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2017

One of the guys in our shop tried to put double helicoils in a V6 head bolt hole and couldn't thread the bolt in afterwards.

Ended up pulling one of them back out and just running with the single helicoil.
I can only assume it is still on the road.
Old 10-08-2017

This is a good helicoil video. he mentions stacking at the 5:05 time mark:

The narrator in the above video sounds like Da Bears:
Old 10-08-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Time of death: 17:37 on 8Oct17
Old 10-08-2017

Time of death: 17:37 on 8Oct17
Dead dead?
How bad is it dead?

Do we need to write a eulogy?
Old 10-08-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Installed 5 helicoils: 3 to repair already damaged holes and 2 as a preemptive measure for 2 questionable ones. All 10 survived round 1 of training. 2 repairs holes failed round 2, as did a third unaltered hole.

I'm just ducking done.
Old 10-08-2017

Cue Taps and 21 gun salute
Old 10-08-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Whoops, aimed at the car
Old 10-08-2017

Time to upgrade: https://www.ebay.com/i/322793082726?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Old 10-08-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Nope.. I'm taking this as a sign to move on. I have a buddy in cincy that is heavily considering buying it off me as a project track car. I'd force him to join the forum to keep us updated on my fallen baby. lol
Old 10-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Sad news. You have 17k posts and I assume they're from your 7th gen ownership. You've dedicated a lot of time and energy to this generation of civic. I sometimes see mint low mileage (50-70k) manual coupes and sedans going for somewhere around $3000 here. Maybe worth finding one of those?
Old 10-09-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the other engine you have, is it useable?
Old 10-09-2017
Administrator
Administrator

It's non-existent now. When I swapped the bottom end (rod knock), it sat for a while, then my dad got rid of it a little while ago.

Like I said, I'm taking this as a sign to move on
Old 10-09-2017

What's the next car on your menu?
Old 10-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Domestic maybe? C5 vettes are a prime pick for collectors at the moment. "price per performance" is really solid on them right now. Probably start seeing them increase in price soon.
Old 10-10-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Or do like James and me and get a 1st gen miata
Old 10-10-2017
Administrator
Administrator

James is trying to get me to join club miata. Not gonna happen.

I was looking at some '15 Si coupes. Found some for around the $15k mark