Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Head Gasket

Uggghhhh.. I think my head gasket is toast... again.. After only 42k miles.. I see signs of coolant leakage on the intake manifold/driver's side of the engine, where, to my knowledge, aren't any coolant lines.

Figures, I buy me some new toys and Azumi (my car) says, "hey, you forgot about me, ********!"

SAKJHFGLKAJHGLIUAWHENAKSDVNADOQWEFOKNASDL;CAIWENOF IWEFROIJASLFKJASDLFJSAFASDF*expletive deleted*

/rant

p.s. buy my car parts I have for sale so I can fix her up again
Old 09-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Re: Head Gasket

geeze mayn Honder gaskets?
Old 09-29-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

PS I think you posted an FIC that I offered a trade for. lol
Old 09-29-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

lol, yeah. I saw your trade offer, albeit a bit late. Unfortunately, cash is needed at the moment
Old 09-29-2017
Registered!!

Let me see if I can sell my FIC 8 within the few days
Old 09-29-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Keep in mind the FIC I have is from when AEM first released it. Straight up first gen. lol

edit: well then.. I googled the part number. Apparently that part number is for the F/IC6 now? Or I have an F/IC6? I don't know. It's the only one that AEM had at the time. It's also the same one that Dezod used on their D17A1 turbo build

edit 2: got it figured out. F/IC6 is for up to 6 cylinders. F/IC8 is for 8 (not up to) cylinders. That's what I gathered from their website, at least.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 09-29-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2017
Registered!!

O.o didn't know there were differences.
Old 09-29-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I was worried that there existed an F/IC4 meant for 4-bangers. lol.

Lemme know
Old 09-29-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
edit 2: got it figured out. F/IC6 is for up to 6 cylinders. F/IC8 is for 8 (not up to) cylinders. That's what I gathered from their website, at least.
Just to clear it up, the FIC-8 is for UP TO 8 cylinders. basically everything the FIC-6 does plus more. It also says it can drive 8 additional injectors so that's interesting. Some high HP applications run 2 injectors in each runner so a v8 could have 16 injectors, from what I'm reading here, where the factory ECU controls 8 and the FIC controls 8 more. O.o
Old 09-29-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Hrm. I didn't see "up to" 8 cylinders on their website. Nevertheless, if you dont need to sell your fic8, I wouldn't.
Old 09-29-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ouch!
that sucks... coolant...
Old 09-29-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ouch!
that blows... coolant...
Fixed it for you. lol
Old 09-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I see signs of coolant leakage on the intake manifold/driver's side of the engine, where, to my knowledge, aren't any coolant lines.
Whaaar did you find coolant? Pics?

IAC valve has coolant lines.
Old 09-29-2017
Administrator
Administrator

way too dark for pictures right now, but to give you an idea...

Where circled, but opposite side. Also, I think I saw some on the head-block interface on the back left corner of the engine, too. I'll try and get pics tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	boo.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	111678  
Old 09-29-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't expect a head gasket issue to show up there without a lot more obvious symptoms elsewhere....and if it were, maybe some powder thrown all over the head gasket area would help show the proof.

(The 07 Fit I picked up leaked coolant all over the top of the trans, but the engine had to be hot before it leaked....and I found a broken head bolt in the same corner.)

Didn't you have the issue with missing bolt(s) on the water housing on the end of the head? Could it have come from something in that area, or maybe a heater line?
Old 09-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Uggghhhh.. I think my head gasket is toast... again.. After only 42k miles.. I see signs of coolant leakage on the intake manifold/driver's side of the engine

you sure its not the water pump?....its right there in the area you describe
Old 10-01-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I was thinking pump as well.

We can only hope.
Old 10-04-2017
Administrator
Administrator

I had it in my mind that the water pump is further down. I'll have to wait until this weekend to check.

Also found out I need new rear tires, too. The fun never stops x_x
Old 10-05-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

don't forget ezone method

Old 10-05-2017
Administrator
Administrator

If it is indeed head gasket, it'd be water jacket to atmosphere leakage. Even more apparently so now that I witnessed active (steam) leakage with a coolant system at NOT. I'm praying y'all are right and that it's water pump with this newfound evidence
Old 10-06-2017
Administrator
Administrator

God. *******. Damn it.

Head gasket leak confirmed via chocolate milkshake.
Name:  C4tJral.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  1.00 MB
Old 10-06-2017
Administrator
Administrator

It has begun

Old 10-06-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Gosh damn

PSA: Your oil is not supposed to look like this
Old 10-06-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Found lower timing cover shredded. 3 of the 4 mounting holes broke, causing the cover to droop and ride the pulley. No signs of any damage to the timing belt. In fact, still looks practically new
Old 10-06-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

ooooouch!
Old 10-06-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, it's been a terrible ****ing week. I'm over it. Over ****ing everything. I need to find out if local honda dealer has lower timing covers in stock or if I'd hafta order it and wait. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

edit: thank the Honda gods that the local dealer has the damn cover in stock. Downside, it's ****ing double the price of majestic, but I need it like, yesterday.
Old 10-06-2017
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough

WTF happened to that lower timing cover

Old 10-06-2017

Originally Posted by RustyShackle
WTF happened to that lower timing cover
I see them with at least one of the bolt holes broken out all the time. ALL the bolt holes mutilated is a bit unusual (and I've seen and used creative ways to reuse them because we can't ever have that in stock).

That cover may have warped and had been contacting the belt.
Was the engine overheated?
Old 10-06-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Engine got to a max of 80% up the temp scale Thursday on my way to work. That's what prompted me to pop the hood and top off the coolant, then saw active steam leakage

Head's off, coolant and oil from the top of the block vacuumed up, and I ran out of sunlight. Tomorrow, drop the pan and clean it up good. Transfer valves, rocker assembly, and cam to new head, then reassembly of engine bay. "New" head is the original head that was on my car, got milled a few years ago and has been sitting dry on a piece of cardboard. Luckily I never sold it

Edit: not all the holes broke off. Just 3 of the 4. Lol

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-06-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2017

Why are the bumper cover and headlight out?

Got broken head bolt...or maybe loose head bolts?
Was it a Honda head gasket...or aftermarket?

Poor finish on the head machining the last time? (A local machine shop ruins every head we send)