Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wiper Blades being funky.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wiper Blades being funky.

Ever since I got this car, the wipers haven't worked right. I assumed the ones that were on from the previous owner probably weren't all that great so I replaced em with some Bosch Icons.. I balled out lol.

I've spent a couple hours trying to bend the arms carefully, every which way and of course I ended up making the problem worse. They just skid/skip all over the place and the rare time I get a clean wipe (hah) There's this huge fog layer after.

Anyways, looks like I've done all I'm capable of so time to take it to someone else. Just curious if this is a job the local mechanic can handle, or would I be better off taking it straight to Honda?

I have pretty severe ADHD so it's kind of crucial I get this fixed, for the safety of myself and others.
Old 09-06-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Wiper Blades being funky.

Here's what Goog's says: https://www.google.com/search?q=01+0...k1.U8jCQg5T0XA

Also, found this on a thread: "That problem is not normally a problem with
arm tension arm tension
. It is caused by the pivots of the different sections of the blade. Take the blades off and clean all pivots goodwith wd40 to flush all the dirt.salt out and then lub with spray silicon. Make sure all pivots work freely. Also make sure the rubber blade slides freely in their brackets and are not pushed in on the ends."

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-06-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Clean the windshield with rubbing alcohol?
Old 09-07-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Here's what Goog's says: https://www.google.com/search?q=01+0...k1.U8jCQg5T0XA

Also, found this on a thread: "That problem is not normally a problem with arm tension. It is caused by the pivots of the different sections of the blade. Take the blades off and clean all pivots goodwith wd40 to flush all the dirt.salt out and then lub with spray silicon. Make sure all pivots work freely. Also make sure the rubber blade slides freely in their brackets and are not pushed in on the ends."
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely try this, can't hurt I don't think.

As far as the rubbing alcohol thing, It's usually what I do. I wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol I'll get like 2 good wipes then **** just start chattering and skipping again.

Only time it doesn't seem to happen is when there's like a monsoon out and the whole windshield is soaked between wipes.
Old 09-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Claybar the windshield?
Rain-X the windshield
Ear plugs

Rub DRY graphite powder into the rubber of the wiper blade?

Blades that fit too loose on the arm (the loop on the end of the arm) can chatter, so can poorly built blades (no matter how much they cost).

Blades that only chatter in one direction--might need the arm twisted so the blade sits 90* to the glass, that way it will "flop" an equal amount on either stroke. It has to drag the rubber strip, it can't be trying to 'push' the rubber.

Factory blades were probably NWB brand. Everything aftermarket seems to be a crapshoot experiment LOL