Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Cat and Tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice
New Cat and Tune-up

I want to have Meineke do the catalytic convertor ($$), but I want Honda to perform a tune up.

Have the cat replaced first? As long as I don't wait to long to get the tune-up done?

Do I want to avoid Meineke for a cat?

Is there much to the tune-up other than new plugs, which, from what I have read here, the originals should still be good in my 120,000 miles.

My catalytic convertor got loaded up (I believe) when my alternator quit charging and I attempted to drive the car home. I drove it until all of the systems quit, one by one. I don't recommend this!

Do I want to save my money on the Honda tune-up?
My only concern is, while idling in the driveway, I can smell foul exhaust odors.
edit: Still getting exceptional mileage. 41 MPG on the last tank.

BTW, Indiana has no inspections, and specifically, NO exhaust gas tests.
This place is freaky.
Old 09-06-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: New Cat and Tune-up

If the engine doesn't have a misfire of any sort it doesn't need a tune-up. However, if you installed new spark plugs it may (or may not) increase spark quality. Use NGK brand spec plugs listed in the service manual and make sure they are gapped correctly. I think Iridiums are pre-gapped so no need to check with wire-gap tool.

CEL light on? If so any codes related the cat convertor? Here's a read on CC symptoms: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-s...ytic-converter

and video:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

Yes, I have a P0420, confirmed when the dealer repaired my alternator fastener.

ECL on.

I am pretty sure the plugs have been replaced in the past, say during a 90,000 mi. service? I am at work, so I don't have my paperwork at hand.

Regardless, I am capable of checking the plugs. If they don't have any carbon build up, I will continue to use them.

Honda quoted me slightly over $1000 for a new catalytic converter.
Meineke was around $325.
Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the video! (just watched it).

The reason I ask about aftermarket cats is because of the poor reputation of aftermarket window regulators. I never would have known about their "breakability", and probably would have bought a pair on Amazon, thinking I was really beating Honda at their own game!

I don't want to make that mistake with the cat.
But then, I don't have a grand to dump on one, either.

Also, I don't like having a stinky car.
Old 09-06-2017
Registered!!

As for the article in the link you provided:

(CEL light on? If so any codes related the cat convertor? Here's a read on CC symptoms: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-s...ytic-converter)

really, only the last one have I noticed.

1 No misfiring.
2 Possibly reduced performance. I don't demand a lot from it.
3 No low fuel economy, but then, I am, by nature, a hypermiler.
4 I don't know how the exhaust system is performing.
5 N/A
6 I don't think I am up for removing the O2 sensors
7 Yep - it is stinky alright!
Old 09-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You already know why the cat got killed and you've resolved that particular problem.

If it got plugs at the dealer at 90k, they are fine.
Check your paperwork though, they are NOT part of a basic 90k unless specifically billed on your work order receipt.
Even if not, the precious metal plugs wear so slowly they could outlast the car. Good idea to do it anyway, but use the correct plugs. DIY.

If you REALLY want a working cat....... how long are you realistically planning on keeping the car?
Old 09-07-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If you REALLY want a working cat....... how long are you realistically planning on keeping the car?
That could go one of two ways.

Next Spring I will either upgrade to a 8th or 9th gen and take on a car payment, OR, I will look to move closer to work, in which case, I would keep the car for a few years.

My current commute is 33 miles, 28 of which is on the slab.
On the plus side, my hours are 1400 - 2230, so I don't have rush hour to contend with. The drive takes less than 40 minutes.

New plugs @ 105,211 miles 10/20/14 12290-PGE-A01
Currently 120,nnn miles.

On the paperwork, it is called a 105,000 mile service, but I believe that is because I wanted a comprehensive service before I took it out to PA to give it to my daughter's mother. I believe I specified "give me the service interval that includes plugs and wires".
Old 09-07-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The correct plugs are only serviced every 100,000 miles. You're done there.

A 49 state cat is cheaper, but lowest quality and short warranty. Many can't even keep the computer happy until the warranty is over. Most won't cover installation cost if it does fail within the warranty period, so you are left paying for installation again. And again. And again. (Not sure how that works with your local installer, check with them)

A California CARB compliant certified is better quality with a much longer warranty. Probably 5 year warranty. Check the cat sellers websites
Old 09-07-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Psst..OP comeover here. I know a guy who knows a guy who can take care of your problem. Here's what you do.. ya guts the cat and then ya jams a straight pipe in so Uncle Sam's none the wiser see? No cat guts equals no problems. ya does the double defouler spark plug trick so your ECU doesn't ask questions. Any questions? Twenty five dollars investment but you didn't hear from me, capishe?

Joking aside it's against federal law and it stinks at stop lights.
Old 09-07-2017
Registered!!

ezone, what do you consider the typical lifespan of an unabused OEM original cat?

IOW, could I have expected mine to last the life of the car? Or just another 10 or 20 thou?

I understand that the older the car gets, things will need to be replaced.
Old 09-07-2017
Registered!!

Oh, and I was a bit optimistic on Honda's cat... $1235.

Meineke said over the phone $279 - 329.
If their high-end unit is a 5-year warranty, I will probably get one put on next week.
5 days of staycation coming up.
Old 09-07-2017

ya guts the cat and then
It stinks, that means the cat is probably already hollow. Or mostly hollow.

ezone, what do you consider the typical lifespan of an unabused OEM original cat?

IOW, could I have expected mine to last the life of the car? Or just another 10 or 20 thou?
Far too many variables to give any definitive answer.
I can say that it only takes a minute to ruin even a brand new cat, if the engine runs bad enough. For that matter, simply running out of fuel can also ruin a cat.

I've seen them last less than 100k, and I've seen them go beyond 300k.
Old 09-07-2017
Registered!!

Le$$on Learned.
Old 09-08-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robfarr56
I just replaced the cat/manifold on my girlfriend's car ('99 sedan). It was the OEM one that had already had a crack welded up, had another crack, and had just started throwing the p0420 code. That car had 370,000kms (230,000miles)
Got $80 from the scrapyard for it