Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Reliable wiring schematic for AC/heat blower motor system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas Utz is an unknown quantity at this point
Reliable wiring schematic for AC/heat blower motor system?

Hi.

Just bought a 2001 DX 5 speed and the previous owner had actually wired a toggle switch to the blower motor directly. Well the switch got hot yesterday and pretty much just broke for lack of a better term. So I want to go through all the motions and find the problem to get it working as advertised.

The previous owner said it just stopped working on all speeds. The blower motor works when bypassing the whole rest of the circuit, so it's not a motor.

Ohmed out the resistor and tested the diode. Checked good.

Checked fuses. All looks good.

I haven't checked relays, but that's partly why I want to find a good schematic.

Was thinking of buying a Haynes or subscribing to Mitchell, but generally on these forums most say to check here before wasting money on those.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Reliable wiring schematic for AC/heat blower motor system?

you need to replace the resistor/transistor unit on the blower motor,

remove the kick panel under the dash on the passenger side,

follow the wires from your toggle switch to where they plug into a 4 pin wire connector,

the part you need to replace is where that 4 pin connector would normally plug in, right now it is probably unplugged,

i have the same problem and i too wired a toggle switch like that temporarily,
Old 06-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Unhack all hacked wiring.
Restore to "as built" condition.

Fix the original problem. Probably the blower power transistor as mikey1 said.
Old 06-04-2017
Registered!!

I ohmed that resistor yesterday and everything checked out ok. I was thinking it was that also. Could it still be the resistor even though it passed the ohm test?
Old 06-04-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You do utilize a transistor assembly correct ?

So No 3 set speeds fan control in DX ? continuously variable speed control...Yes ?
Old 06-04-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I ohmed that resistor
What ohm test is that?

and everything checked out ok
None of my test equipment ever shows that on the display LOL

Did your service manual direct you to do a test similar to this?

I rarely ever use continuity testing as outlined in a shop manual because it doesn't account for load. Instead I rely heavily a wiring diagram to formulate my own dynamic testing on live, operating circuits.

Connect everything as Honda built it.
Turn on the fan, then connect one voltmeter lead to battery neg or chassis ground....now backprobe to test each of the two fat wires at the resistor. If one shows 12v, the other shows 0v, that means the transistor isn't providing the ground to the motor for some reason.

At this point, the image linked above would be included a next step in testing.
Could it still be the resistor even though it passed the ohm test?
Yes it can still be bad.
Did you take it apart and check if the internal TCO fuse is open?
Old 06-04-2017

Waay oversimplified diagram that may not match anything on your actual car (was labeled as for a CRV)

Old 06-04-2017

Old 06-04-2017
Registered!!

Awesome! This helps tremendously. Yeah so the test I did yesterday was off of a website somewhere. Ohmed pins 3 and 4 on resistor/transistor and got a little over 1500 ohms. Ran a diode test on pins 2 and 4 and and had current drop one way, flipped the leads and nothing the that way. I think I'm going to wire everything back up the way it is supposed to be and try backpinning the resistor connector. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2017

Q&D: Remove and open the transistor assembly.

Check as follows:

Name:  DSC04692b.jpg
Views: 3280
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  DSC02634.jpg
Views: 3398
Size:  54.4 KB

If you have open circuit (blown like a fuse) across the terminals shown, it's bad.
If the TCO is not open, you will see zero ohms or continuity

EDIT:: I might jumper across the TCO terminals just to make sure the fan will operate correctly, and the rest of the system is capable of controlling it as designed.
I have a few of these I've turned into test units to save time in diagnosis.

Replace the cabin filter set if they are dirty. The transistors heat sink depends on good airflow to keep it from overheating.

Last edited by ezone; 06-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

just wanted to update this thread....

i had a faulty transistor on my blower motor last fall, i fixed it temporarily by installing a toggle switch between two of the transistor pins/wires,

this worked fine over the winter with the heat, the toggle switch would turn the blower to max speed or off with no in between,

hot weather came and i found out this setup will not work with the air conditioning....it will not turn the A/C on

today i went to the electronics store and for ONE DOLLAR i bought 10 resistors (although only needed one),

i followed the tutorial below, and to my amazement it actually worked....blower motor now works 100% at all speeds back to normal....

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...istor-2041582/

Old 06-05-2017

Originally Posted by mikey1
just wanted to update this thread....

i had a faulty transistor on my blower motor last fall, i fixed it temporarily by installing a toggle switch between two of the transistor pins/wires,

this worked fine over the winter with the heat, the toggle switch would turn the blower to max speed or off with no in between,

hot weather came and i found out this setup will not work with the air conditioning....it will not turn the A/C on

today i went to the electronics store and for ONE DOLLAR i bought 10 resistors (although only needed one),

i followed the tutorial below, and to my amazement it actually worked....blower motor now works 100% at all speeds back to normal....

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...istor-2041582/

I soldered jumper wires and an ATO fuse into my test units just to make them work.
FREE using stuff laying in the toolbox drawer LOL

Name:  fsMrVSGl.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  41.1 KB
Old 06-06-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The part jumpered/open component is a 114 degree C TCO thermal fuse, and not a carbon resistor.