Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Green key light on dash flahing

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley Findd is an unknown quantity at this point
Green key light on dash flahing

i lost my key to my 2001 Honda Civic LX .I put a new lock cylinder​ in . Didn't change anything else .now car turns​ over but will not start .the green key lite flashing contineusly. What wrong? Does anyone know ?
Old 05-18-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Green key light on dash flahing

Your immobilizer is not matching/linked after the change. (RFID)
May require dealer to resolve.
Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley Findd is an unknown quantity at this point

if I buy a complete ignition unit somewhere should that take care of that issue?
Old 05-18-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not a mechanic but..... The immobilizer is looking for your lost keys RFID chip to allow starting. With your replacement key not having the RFID it is looking for, it will not allow start.
Old 05-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

A well equipped locksmith can also help you in this situation. They can program the new unknown key so that the computer recognizes it.

If replacing parts you would need cylinder, keys, and computer as a set and all from the same donor car so everything works plug and play. Or else dealership for new key programming or locksmith.
Old 05-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of those ignition replacements come with immobilizer keys.
IF the key only fits and turns the lock, but has no transponder chip for the immobilizer system, you will have to get a correct compatible immobi key cut and programmed to the rest of the system in order to start the engine.

The only way to find out is to have someone attempt to program the current keys to the car. That someone must have scanner equipment that is able to program Hondas immobilizer systems. Dealer, well equipped locksmith, or maybe a well equipped Honda specialty shop. Call first and ask before towing the car anywhere.

How to get the thing to run so you can drive it to get it programmed and save a tow truck fee:
Was the immobilizer ring (control unit) around the lock cylinder replaced, or is it still original?

If you have the original ring, (if still mounted, you would have to take it off of the lock) Connect it to the wiring and you can stick an original key through the center and it should recognize it, and allow the engine to run when you twist the ignition.