Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Key won't unlock driver side door

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016
EC3
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EC3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Key won't unlock driver side door

Hello, so I got this 2003 Civic Si recently and it has an issue unlocking the driver's door with the key. The key goes in fine but it won't turn left or right as if something was jammed. I'm guessing it's a valet key since its gray (it's the only one the guy had), maybe that's the issue. Every time I want to get in the car I need to open the passengers door, reach over and unlock my door. Its getting really annoying. Any suggestions as to what it might be will be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
The following users liked this post:
Reeree (01-27-2021)
Old 02-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Key won't unlock driver side door

Either valet key or the lock cylinder needs to be cleaned or re pinned.
Old 02-20-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

needs the lock cylinder rebuilt with new tumblers
Old 02-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a valet key. It is thicker than the other keys. when I'll get home I'll let you know the specs. you can use a file and get it to the other keys thickness.
Old 02-25-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Valet key is not the cause of this problem.
A valet key will always work the doors and ignition.
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Valet key is not the cause of this problem.
A valet key will always work the doors and ignition.

Correct ezone. It should work. However the valet key is 0.5 mm thicker than the regular key.

Make a duplicate key for a $1 in home depot and see if this helps before doing anything else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160226_085201839.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	88532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160226_084729504_HDR.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	1,006.5 KB
ID:	88533  
Old 02-26-2016

Originally Posted by emich
Correct ezone. It should work. However the valet key is 0.5 mm thicker than the regular key.

Make a duplicate key for a $1 in home depot and see if this helps before doing anything else.
You're looking at regular keys and the OPs car uses sidewinder keys. I doubt the $1 key replacement is gonna be possible.

And FWIW the black key in your pic appears to be slightly bent.
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You're looking at regular keys and the OPs car uses sidewinder keys. I doubt the $1 key replacement is gonna be possible.

And FWIW the black key in your pic appears to be slightly bent.
You are right it is bent I didn't notice.
Old 10-08-2020
Registered!!

Roses is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I’m experiencing the same issue. My black key won’t unlock the door any longer so I got the gray key which only opens the trunk so I can’t lock my car doors. I was trying to follow the post but I’m not sure I quite understand what to do to fix it. Just had all my stuff stolen out of my trunk (cuz I’m :-( a Blondie) and I just want to figure this out.

Is this a key issue or a door lock issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rosie
Old 04-09-2021
Registered!!

Bobo6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bro im having the same problem except its all my keys that arent letting me open the driver side dooe. Its electronic so im sure it has to do with either the wiring or the motor for the lock becuase if theres no electricity getting to the lock you cant do anything to it manually either. Im trying to figure out what it is but there was also a mice problem in my car so theres no tellong ive just been lazy as **** to find out. Im going to check it out this weekend ill let you know whatsup. And dont make a duplicate our keys have a chip in them so unless you get a programmable key it isnt worth ****
Old 04-09-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,305 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bobo6
if theres no electricity getting to the lock you cant do anything to it manually either.
Well that's just not true. How would you ever get into a car with a dead battery?
Old 04-09-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Well that's just not true. How would you ever get into a car with a dead battery?
well i know with this car if you tried the driver side you would not get in id put money on that. For example i can lock and unlock my door from the inside with my hand but if the door is open i cant put it up or down. Woth the key i have to open it from the passenger side. With the piwer switch it doesnt do **** to the drivers side door. It doesnt make sense i understand but the situatiin is real lol. If you know how to remedy this please let us know because i dont know what to do im trying to figure it out through trial and error
Old 04-09-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

With the door open you need to hold the handle open to operate the locks. Standard Honda thing.
BrotatoChip (04-09-2021)
Old 04-10-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
With the door open you need to hold the handle open to operate the locks. Standard Honda thing.
its not working bro
Old 04-10-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

This is basic stuff, go pay someone if you can't figure it out
FRSam (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021

Hey bro im having the same problem except its all my keys that arent letting me open the driver side dooe. Its electronic so im sure it has to do with either the wiring or the motor for the lock becuase if theres no electricity getting to the lock you cant do anything to it manually either.
theres no electricity involved.
Lock cylinder. Retumble or replace.

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
You would be amazed at how many users simply cannot ____. Some actually get trapped inside a car.
Originally Posted by Colin42
its not working bro
Read the owners manual. It's full of handy information like this.
BrotatoChip (04-12-2021)