Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My steering wheel is shaking! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
My steering wheel is shaking! Help!

I just put on some new rims yesterday...I have the necessary hubrings installed, but the steering wheel bounces around wildly. They are Motegi 17x7's on Falken ZE52's, would I need an alignment possibly? I have one scheduled for thsi Friday...

2 Hottie

Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Alignment usually does not cause steering wheel vibration... but improperly balanced tires will. Take it back to whoever installed your tires and tell them to re-balance.
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
What Ronin said. OR since you have a hell of a lot more rubber on the ground now you are going to feel the road a lot more. I kinda have the same problem it is because we have the McPhearson struts which allows for more feel of the road and there is a lot more rubber to pick up the feel of the road. Highly doubt it is the alignment though.
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

OverTheTop is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure they didnt tightin down the lugs to tight, may warp the rotors!
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
You might try installing the wheels without the hub ring. Just hold the rim on the hub and ease each lug nut on a evenly and a little at a time to center the rim. Sometimes the hub rings on aftermarket wheels make things worse.

If this does not help, you either need an alignment or you need to get the wheels re-balanced.

TJ
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have vibration after i installed new wheels too. I have hub rings on and rebalanced the tires two times...so what more can we do??
Old 05-16-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Try asking a different shop to balance it. Ask also if they could check if any of your rims are bent... even though the rims are new, you never know if they came like that.

Old 05-16-2002
Registered!!

You all have to realize when you put new wheels on such as the 17s that were mentioned before and especially with low pro tires you are going to feel the road A LOT more. With that much more rubber on the ground you are going to feel EVERY little bump and dip. This probably accounts for what you all are experiencing.
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Get them balanced. Also check to make sure that your tires, if they have a directional tread pattern, are mounted so that they are turning in the right direction. But balanced for sure.

The Baddest Sedan on the Planet! And the website it started.
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

Thanks FamilyMan....I got the car back yesterday and the guy said that the balancing was way off...could have been the calibration of the machine that originally balnced my tires...they still shake a bit when I go over 60, but its a much improved ride than before! I think the weather too makes it weird driving....been close to 40 here in PA since yesterday!

2 Hottie
Old 05-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
i had crazy amounts of shaking after installing my wheels, but after riding about 1,000 miles on them it got alot better now my stearing wheel only shakes alittle bit,
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the exact same rims as you, Motegi MR7, and had the EXACT same problem.

But I think it is almost 100% now, after 4 times trying to get them rebalanced...
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Well, the balancing wasn't as good as I thought...it still shakes. But I will be heading back for my third trip for balancing this Friday. I am going to the pros this time! They claim they will be able to take care of it...

Scott
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put some rotas on my car and my steering wheel shakes so bad its scary on the highway. This is my second set of aftermarket wheels, not on the same car though. Imo, the tape weights just don't do as good a job as the ones that clamp on. I think this could be a major source of the problem. Just my thoughts....
Old 05-30-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

<< You all have to realize when you put new wheels on such as the 17s that were mentioned before and especially with low pro tires you are going to feel the road A LOT more. With that much more rubber on the ground you are going to feel EVERY little bump and dip. This probably accounts for what you all are experiencing. >>

Actually with low pro tires you have LESS rubber/sidewall to absorb the impact, so the ride is a bit harsher.
Old 05-31-2002
Registered!!

<< Actually with low pro tires you have LESS rubber/sidewall to absorb the impact, so the ride is a bit harsher. >>

Uh yeah that was what I said.

<< &lt;&lt; You all have to realize when you put new wheels on such as the 17s that were mentioned before and especially with low pro tires you are going to feel the road A LOT more. >>

yes less side wall more impact like I said you will feel the road A LOT more.

<< With that much more rubber on the ground you are going to feel EVERY little bump and dip. This probably accounts for what you all are experiencing. &gt;&gt; >>

Yeah with more rubber touching the ground as in the width of the tire being substantialy wider the more you feel the road. You are going from a 195 to a 205 yes the tire is substantially wider. Going to 40 series rubber from if I remember right an 75 there is hella less sidewall.
Old 05-31-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah but you're decreasing the sidewall so much that the incremental gain in width is not enough to maintain the original tire volume. The prime reason the ride is harsh is because the total volume of the tire has decreased. Yes, the width of the tire has increased a bit, but the sidewall has also substantially decreased a bit. With 17" rims and larger, the net effect is a lot less tire volume to absorb impact. That's why the ride is harsh. The fact that the tires are wider is not the reason why you 'feel the road more'.

And please in the future - do not attribute quotes to me that were in your original msg. Those last two quoted lines were written by YOU, but the way you quoted them it looks like I said them and you are responding to them. Thanks.