Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Satin Silver Metallic Bumper Paint - Hard to match??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
Satin Silver Metallic Bumper Paint - Hard to match??

OK, I had a new rear bumper cover put on my SSM Sedan last week. I immediatly noticed that the newly painted cover has a slightly different color than the sheetmetal. It almost has very slight goldish tint to it when compared to the existing factory paint. Unacceptable.

I take it in today, and the guy tells me "It's hard to match the color on plastic bumpers to the existing sheetmetal." He goes on to explain about plastic takes the paint different, he shows me a 2k1 SSM Coupe and tries to get me to see the "difference" in paint between the bumper covers and the sheetmetal. I see no difference. In fact, the paint on my front bumper cover matches perfectly to the paint on the sheetmetal. The original rear matched too until I smacked it.

The guy tells me he remembers they tried 3 times to match the paint, and that was the best they could do. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] The other option was to blend the bumper cover paint into the sheetmetal. NO WAY! NOT ON MY CAR! He suggested I talk to the manager, who wasn't there at the time. Looks like another trip to the body shop tomorrow. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

Has anyone else had paint matching problems with Satin Silver Metallic?
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
dude it isnt hard to match any paint, the guy is just trying to give you a shady job and hes trying to rip you off. I had my front (tsunami) painted to match my car and i think its the hardest color to match because of the different colors within the black paint. The silver is quite easy, many people on this website have gotten their kits painted silver for their cars and they havent had any problems so you should ask them to redo it.
Old 05-21-2002
Registered!!

Cali is an unknown quantity at this point
I think about 4-6 weeks after the paint job, you're supposed to take your car in and have it buffed. The goldish tint you're seeing may be the clear coat. I don't know if this is true, but I was told that the clear coat has a goldish tint when looked at from certain angles. anyways, I hope they can match my car this summer. Its been keyed 3 times!!! Currently, I need the front and rear bumper, driver's side fender and door repainted. I'm gonna be pissed if they can't match it.
btw, I think silver is the hardest to match because of the sparkly metal glitter that is in the paint. black is a solid color.
Old 05-22-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
I just talked to the manager, they're gonna reshoot the bumper next Tuesday. Hopefully they get it right this time.
Old 05-25-2002
The Righteous

RBABE is an unknown quantity at this point
LET IT GO!!! SSM paint will almost never match the factory robots job and these are the reasons why; any metallic paint has real metal flecks in it and when a professional painter shoots it again and again or even one time, those metal flecks WILL NOT line up with the factory robots job making it look like a slightly different color. It is a timing issue, robots at the factory do the entire car in seconds so they can do their best in lining up the metal flecks the same way on the entire car. So, that is done with and then you need to have a part of your vehicle painted again and you will now have the metal flecks coming out of the professional painter's gun laying slighly different than when the robot did it even though it is the exact same paint and no matter how many times you shoot and re-shoot it!!! It is also very true that SSM paint will look slighly different on plastic than metal. It will appear darker and this is completely normal!!! How do I know all of this? A car wash damaged 6 locations on my SSM painted ride and I went to two different professional body shops that had an excellent history with the utmost of customer satisfaction giving them the best reputations I could find. And, I got my H**** dealer involved and eventually had a regional manager fly out here to my city so I could discuss why I was having paint problems and get answers that matched all the homework I did with the two body shops and countless weeks spent on-line getting answers about the SSM paint. Here is the bottom line- no one will notice except for you and eventually through time you will not even notice!!! That is what happened with me. SSM paint is not going to look the same on two different surfaces such as plastic and metal because SSM paint has no pigment at all. I drove myself nuts trying to match the 6 damaged areas of my car to the rest of my car and it cannot be done!!! H**** offered to paint the whole car SSM again for me and that will not work because nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the factory robots excellent job not to mention that you are painting over non-pigmented paint which will never look as good as the robots job. Honestly, let it go and move on to other fun things on your car!!! No one besides me has ever noticed my six locations that look differently colored than the rest of the whole car. To show them the difference, I'd have to go under flourescent lights and point out where it was repainted. Good luck with it and try not to sweat it as much!!! You will be fine with it in time, atleast I was and I'm a detail oriented freak!!! I hope this helps, I just don't want you to go through what I went through!!! JUST ENJOY YOUR CAR!!! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-26-2002
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
the black on the civics is really hard to match since it is a pearl! hence the name nighthawk pearl black!
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

ack! They didn't finish it today. The guy said they were done painting, and while they were buffing out the bumper, somebody slipped and burned it. They couldn't give me back my car, so the manager loaned me his (*gasp*) Pontiac Montana!

This could actually work out, because I'm moving into my house tomorrow...
but I still miss my car! That minivan drives like a cow. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-29-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Apparently they guys doing your bumper don't know what they are doing. I just had my new bumper blown and it matches perfectly. They said before they did it that depending on what factory the car came out of kinda has an effect on the color. But it is an identical match so if I were you I would make them keep doing it until it is prefect but that's me.
Old 05-29-2002
Registered!!

I'm gonna pick up my car on the way to my house closing. I hope they got it right!
Old 05-29-2002
Registered!!

yay! I got my car back. The bumper looks SO much better than before. I would say it's about a 95% match. (The previous job was like an 80% match )
Old 05-31-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
When some **** hole ran into my car, I took it to this one shop to get it done.

He tired 5 times, but they all didn't match... even had a guy from DuPont come out to help him.

But the last place I went to (Midtown Collison Carstar, Hamilton, ON, Canada) they got it *PERFECTLY*... actually they did a better job than THE FACTORY! You know how the front & rear bumper colours are different when they are brand new? (Yes, it's true, and my eyes can tell) Well he did the front bumper and it matches to the rest of the body 100%, where as the stock/new rear bumper, is slightly different now from certain lighting. These guys did a great job... here's some pix

This one does not match, as you can tell.. the 1st guy's job..

2nd guy's job.. The front fender & bumper has been replaced... but matches perfectly w/the door

This fender was also replaced... but again, great job