Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic EX Auto, oil burning problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
totravska is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic EX Auto, oil burning problems.

My 03 EX has just shy of 150k miles on it, and it has been burning oil for as long as I've had it. It's not leaking anywhere, I've inspected it as well as multiple other mechanics. When I first got the car it had a blown head gasket which I had fixed, as well as the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump I believe.

Some other minor repairs as well.

My car just won't stop burning oil, however. Could it possibly be the piston rings? What are some ways to check that?

I use high-mileage oil by the way. I used to use 5w20 but have been using 5w30 for some time now.

Thanks, I appreciate any help
Old 08-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Civic EX Auto, oil burning problems.

Could it possibly be the piston rings?
Yep.

What are some ways to check that?
If it's not leaking, then it's got stuck oil rings. Stuck with carbon buildup is the usual cause.

I use high-mileage oil by the way. I used to use 5w20 but have been using 5w30 for some time now.
Did switching to 5w30 improve the consumption?

Try switching to 0w20 instead.
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Yep.

If it's not leaking, then it's got stuck oil rings. Stuck with carbon buildup is the usual cause.

Did switching to 5w30 improve the consumption?

Try switching to 0w20 instead.

ezone is there a way to clean this carbon buildup?
Old 08-29-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emich
ezone is there a way to clean this carbon buildup?
The quickest, surest way is to pull the pistons and rering it.

You can try soaking cylinders, you can try seafoam and snake oils, you can try whatever you want...no promises.

(When I did my Fit engine rering a couple weeks ago, I pulled out the pistons and soaked them in Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner which is some of the best carbon cutting stuff available IMO (it's hazardous to people in California LOL)....soaked for a couple days. While it did get the rings to loosen in their grooves, there was still a whole bunch of carbon that had to be cleaned out manually.)

You could switch to oil with different specs and hope it can clean from the inside (crankcase)...Search the forum for ILSAC and ACEA and read my comments.

You can search for "Saturn" and find descriptions of what I've been doing to my GFs car over the last several years. It's been sloooow process but it's definitely been an improvement.

And lastly, the old school thinking of switching to 'heavier' oil to slow down oil consumption does not always work as expected in modern engines. Switching to 'thinner' oil may. 0w20 anyone?
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
The quickest, surest way is to pull the pistons and rering it.

You can try soaking cylinders, you can try seafoam and snake oils, you can try whatever you want...no promises.

(When I did my Fit engine rering a couple weeks ago, I pulled out the pistons and soaked them in Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner which is some of the best carbon cutting stuff available IMO (it's hazardous to people in California LOL)....soaked for a couple days. While it did get the rings to loosen in their grooves, there was still a whole bunch of carbon that had to be cleaned out manually.)

You could switch to oil with different specs and hope it can clean from the inside (crankcase)...Search the forum for ILSAC and ACEA and read my comments.

You can search for "Saturn" and find descriptions of what I've been doing to my GFs car over the last several years. It's been sloooow process but it's definitely been an improvement.

And lastly, the old school thinking of switching to 'heavier' oil to slow down oil consumption does not always work as expected in modern engines. Switching to 'thinner' oil may. 0w20 anyone?
I'll swich to 0w20 is synthetic better?
I change already head gasket, t. Belt etc. I am reluctant to take out the pistons unless I get something like your Fit. It's not so bad 1 qt. for 6000 mi.
Old 08-30-2015

Originally Posted by emich
I'll swich to 0w20 is synthetic better?
0w oils are already considered synthetic in the US.

unless I get something like your Fit.
I think it's easier to get the head off a belt drive engine.
Stripping the nose of an engine to get to the timing chain can be a PITA.
It's not so bad 1 qt. for 6000 mi.
That's not bad at all IMO.
I don't think I'd take it apart if that's how fast it uses oil.