Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Quick question regarding exhaust headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick question regarding exhaust headers

So I took my '01 LX in for work today. Got the timing belt done, drive belts changed, oil pan re-sealed, front oil pump seal changed, and of course, the oil changed (part of the re-seal). Next on the list of needed repairs is the cracked exhaust header. Seems I can get one new on Ebay for ~$160 shipped. Question is, does it matter if I get the CARB/California emissions version or not? (this came up looking momentarily at MagnaFlow stuff before laughing and closing the tab) I don't know where the car was actually sold/bought first, but the person I bought it from said the guy he got it from drove it from Cali. I live in Texas now, so CARB regs aren't really an issue for me. That said, if there's an actual major difference that could screw with how the car runs, I'd rather be sure to get the right one.
Old 06-20-2015
Registered!!

hans.pcguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Quick question regarding exhaust headers

I replaced the exhaust manifold on 99 Civic LX with cheapo from ebay. Original was exhaust manifold and catalytic converter all in one. Replacement was two piece but just bolted in. Found out later three things. 1) replacement was high flow. nice for more power. and 2) Evidently there was only a small amt of catalytic metal in the converter. It burned out in a few months.Could smell the unconverted exhaust. And 3) Probably because if the high flow characteristics, the 02 sensor was constantly setting off the engine light. I fixed that by installing a spacer in the 02 sensor. I live in a no pollution test state so none of these things was a major problem. However I doubt if it would pass a safety inspection in a testing state. Hope this was of some help.
Old 06-20-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

There COULD be a minor thing or two different, but a lot of it is just your typical bureaucratic B.S. It's cheaper to make a part that works for 49 states than it is to deal with the CARB for the 50th one. Just look at K&N's 57 and 63 series intakes. They are the same thing but the 57 is 50-state legal and the 63 is not. Would YOU pay the extra $20-$30 if you weren't planning on living in California?
Old 06-21-2015
Registered!!

Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hans.pcguy
I replaced the exhaust manifold on 99 Civic LX with cheapo from ebay. Original was exhaust manifold and catalytic converter all in one. Replacement was two piece but just bolted in. Found out later three things. 1) replacement was high flow. nice for more power. and 2) Evidently there was only a small amt of catalytic metal in the converter. It burned out in a few months.Could smell the unconverted exhaust. And 3) Probably because if the high flow characteristics, the 02 sensor was constantly setting off the engine light. I fixed that by installing a spacer in the 02 sensor. I live in a no pollution test state so none of these things was a major problem. However I doubt if it would pass a safety inspection in a testing state. Hope this was of some help.
Luckily these are pretty obvious from the pictures and descriptions, not to mention being much much cheaper.

Originally Posted by Poopies
There COULD be a minor thing or two different, but a lot of it is just your typical bureaucratic B.S. It's cheaper to make a part that works for 49 states than it is to deal with the CARB for the 50th one. Just look at K&N's 57 and 63 series intakes. They are the same thing but the 57 is 50-state legal and the 63 is not. Would YOU pay the extra $20-$30 if you weren't planning on living in California?
I kinda figured it wouldn't be a big deal, just wasn't sure if the emissions would change enough to cause issues withthe O2 sensor or anything.