Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tkcne is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS Code

2002 EX. I've got an SRS code and I just wanted to make sure I'm reading it right. I count 21-1. Is that right, and if so what does that code mean?

https://*******/N4SL

Thanks
Old 01-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SRS Code

21-1: Open circuit in the drivers seat belt buckle tensioner.

I'd get a flashlight and see if something maybe got caught under the seat and look for any damaged wiring.

Unplug and reconnect the connectors for the tensioner, see if that makes the code go away.

Follow all precautions listed in the proper service manual so you don't blow yourself up!
Old 01-03-2015
Registered!!

I looked under the seat and nothing looked damaged but wouldn't the tensioner connector be in the wall by the reel?

It's a coupe so do I need to remove the whole side panel to reconnect the tensioner connector?

Should I try clearing the code and see if it comes back first?

As far as safety, before disconnecting srs cables it says to disconnect the negative terminal, wait 3min, disconnect driver airbag, disconnect passenger airbag. Anything else?
Old 01-03-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tkcne
I looked under the seat and nothing looked damaged but wouldn't the tensioner connector be in the wall by the reel?
Belt tensioner would be in the belt.
Buckle tensioner is in the buckle.
It's a coupe so do I need to remove the whole side panel to reconnect the tensioner connector?
No, it's under the seat.
Should I try clearing the code and see if it comes back first?
Yes.

As far as safety, before disconnecting srs cables it says to disconnect the negative terminal, wait 3min, disconnect driver airbag, disconnect passenger airbag. Anything else?
Just know that airbags are expensive to replace if you happen to deploy anything by accident.....and you can be killed or put your eye out. Follow safety precautions or assume risk for your bla bla bla...
Reality: I do an awful lot of stuff to airbags on live systems., but I am also very aware of the risks and costs and built-in safety mechanisms.
I cannot condone ignoring any of the printed safety precautions.

----

Let me ask you this:
Is this a brand new problem, or do you not know anything about this car and its history?

Has the car been in an accident?

Slide both seats all the way back so they are even, and if possible adjust the drivers seat height so they are both even.
Now compare the height of each buckle. Is the drivers buckle about one inch lower than the other?
Old 01-04-2015
Registered!!

Should I try clearing the code and see if it comes back first? Yes.
It didn't immediately come back on, but I didn't drive anywhere.

Is this a brand new problem, or do you not know anything about this car and its history?
It had an SRS code when I got it. It was 5-something so I reset it and the light stayed off for about 9K miles before now.

Has the car been in an accident?
Some kind of not too major rear collision before I got it.

Slide both seats all the way back so they are even, and if possible adjust the drivers seat height so they are both even.
Now compare the height of each buckle. Is the drivers buckle about one inch lower than the other?
We are talking about where the belts plug into right? It looks like the drivers is maybe a little lower and maybe a little farther back, but not much. Not an inch, more like .25-.5 of an inch. What does that mean?
Old 01-04-2015

We are talking about where the belts plug into right?
Yes, the buckle.
The female part.
Not an inch, more like .25-.5 of an inch. What does that mean?
IF the buckle tensioner had been deployed, the buckle usually sits noticeably lower than the other. The buckle is pulled down when the charge goes off, and stays there.
It's not real obvious until you know to look for it and it's about an inch difference.

Since you say
It didn't immediately come back on, but I didn't drive anywhere.
I think it is probably OK, because if the tensioner was deployed the fault code would be permanent.
Drive it and see what happens.

My next guess:
A common problem in SRS systems (from many different manufacturers, not just Honda) is 'terminal fretting' (google it). This can cause a high resistance and set a code, yet the act of unplugging and reconnecting the connection or disturbing the terminals makes the problem disappear for a time.
Old 01-04-2015
Registered!!

I think it is probably OK, because if the tensioner was deployed the fault code would be permanent.
Drive it and see what happens.
I went about 30mi tonight and it's still off. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

'terminal fretting'
Would you be able to see the wear on these terminals? Is dielectric grease a solution for that?
Old 01-04-2015

Originally Posted by tkcne
Would you be able to see the wear on these terminals?
Maybe. Sometimes it resembles a light tarnish. Did you use google image search for examples?

Is dielectric grease a solution for that?
No, dielectric is not the correct solution for the problem IMO. That just makes it water resistant, it doesn't help make a better connection.

'Stabilant 22A' is what I use.
This stuff enhances the electrical connection and can even bridge a microgap between two terminals.
'Stabilant 22' is also available and is a concentrate.

http://www.stabilant.com/ <--LINK!!!

Available through some better auto parts stores.
I think I got mine through NAPA many years ago.

---

This is just assuming that fretting is actually the cause of your code. I have no way of knowing from where I sit.

HTH
Old 01-04-2015
Registered!!

Yeah I saw the pictures but I didn't actually unplug any of the srs terminals so I didn't know what they looked like. I will definitely take a look at them if the code comes back. Thanks again for all your help.