Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockjaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator

If you were gonna replace your alternator, what would you go with? Dealer wants like 500+ for theirs.

I can get it online for about half that.

Or, advance, Autozone, O'reileys?

Yes that is what the dealer thinks is wrong with my 2003 Civic.
Old 12-01-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Alternator

Do you have a local auto electric shop ??

Priced a Honda rebuilt unit ??

Despise auto parts store crap shoot.
Old 12-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

if you are replacing it yourself, and are capable of doing the job yourself, then i would buy it from a parts store only of it comes with a lifetime warranty which alot of them do
Old 12-01-2014
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CraigW
Do you have a local auto electric shop ??
This would be my choice.

Actually..... if I had to replace my alternator I would rebuild it myself...I realize that's not an option for everybody though.
Old 12-01-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

I would personally do the job myself. Save some money!
Old 12-01-2014
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I've been rocking a VatoZone duralast alternator for some time now.. No problems
Old 12-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

List price 340ish, plus labor, plus checkout fee.....500+ area sounds right at a shop.

Reman Honda alt only $226 at Majestic. DIY labor is dirt cheap?
Old 12-05-2014
Registered!!

No dealer wants 550 for just the alternator. Total was in the mid 700 range installed.

O"reiley has a lifetime warranty. The Advance unit has alot of negative reviews so its out.

I do have a local repair shop that can rebuild one for around 130 or so. This is already a replacement alternator, so.... kinda don't want to rebuild it.

This time of year, I deer hunt, so I don't really want to spend the time to replace it myself.

I'd rather just take the car someplace had them an alternator and say, replace this please.
Old 12-05-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lockjaw
No dealer wants 550 for just the alternator. Total was in the mid 700 range installed.
Dealers are always free to set their own markup on prices......but that's just......a lot...
O"reiley has a lifetime warranty. The Advance unit has alot of negative reviews so its out.
ALL discount parts store stuff may be that way.
I do have a local repair shop that can rebuild one for around 130 or so. This is already a replacement alternator, so.... kinda don't want to rebuild it.
Yeah, our local GOOD rebuilder usually refused to rebuild an aftermarket starter or alternator. They would gladly rebuild original equipment.

I'd rather just take the car someplace had them an alternator and say, replace this please.
I'd score one OE reman from the internet dealership if it were me.
Old 12-05-2014

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Just out of curiosity....how long did the replacement one last? If you know.

If it were me I'd go to a wrecking yard and get an OE alternator. Either have them install it or take it to someone who will. If it ends up crapping out in the future...rebuild it.
Old 12-08-2014
Registered!!

Well I bought an OEM one used off Ebay for 40 bucks, and am going to get it rebuilt. I won't have 200 hundred in it once its done, and figure it will be better than anything the parts store has.

The replacement one I have was put in in 2010, but I have had headlight flickering issues for over year.
Old 12-11-2014
Registered!!

60 bucks to go through and fix the OEM alternator, Cheaper than a parts store cheappo special.

Man car is running bad. It almost just cuts off driving now.
Old 12-28-2014
Registered!!

LadyRainn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. I'm in need of a new alternator so I was going to purchase one off Amazon. They range from 92.00 to 131.00 Is there a certain type I should get? Will any type work as long as it's for a "98"?
Old 12-28-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LadyRainn
Hello all. I'm in need of a new alternator
Try to find a local rebuilder to repair your current alternator.
Old 12-28-2014

so I was going to purchase one off Amazon
How do you plan on obtaining a warranty replacement when it craps out?
How much free time do you have?
Old 12-28-2014

Originally Posted by CraigW
Try to find a local rebuilder to repair your current alternator.
Originally Posted by Lockjaw
60 bucks to go through and fix the OEM alternator, Cheaper than a parts store cheappo special.
Rebuild if you can. Like the original poster stated it was cheaper than a parts store cheapo to have it rebuilt. The only downside to doing this is usually you have to give your alternator to the rebuilder removed from the car.