Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 civic cant read codes, dash lights on, and bogging out

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
westvilleguy is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 civic cant read codes, dash lights on, and bogging out

Hey im new to the forum was driving a 2000 civic until I blew it up. Im now looking at a 2003 civic dx I think. 1.7l 5 speed.

The car seems to bog out when you hit a certain rpm. I think all the lights are on, on the dash. Check engine, green key, drl etc. Im also thinking the temp gauge wasn't working. I had it running for awhile, while I looked it over. Didn't seem to go up. When you first start the car it runs rough for a few minutes then comes out of it. Turns over a bit before starting also. They tried 2 or 3 garages and none of them could read the codes. None of the machines could retrieve them. One place put a used ecu in it. And had it rebooted by Honda. Still no change in the car.

I think she said at one point the lights all flashed on the dash or possibly went out. Garage told them its going to get expensive chasing wires so they decided to sell. Anyone have any ideas? The bogging doesn't bother me as much as not being able to read the codes. I did find an old thread about the alt not being grounded properly and frying the ecu twice.

I did notice the ground from the rad support to valve cover was a little rough looking. Any help would be great. Its a nice car. She has put a lot of money into it. Timing belt was done recently and fresh mvi. It needs an oil pan, and these other issues figured out.
Old 10-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 civic cant read codes, dash lights on, and bogging out

Search this forum for 'loose alternator bolts' and start reading.

Timing belt was done recently
Blame the one that did it?
Old 10-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Sounds like its got some very real problems that are going to take skill. time and money to sort out. If you have all three go for it.
Old 10-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy once one knows what the cause was LOL (search and read).

But it's gonna take a lot of money to fix it if the PCM is now damaged because of the original problem.