Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0717 Tran problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcnug is an unknown quantity at this point
P0717 Tran problem

Im having a issue with my 04 civic.I am getting code P0717(speed sensor short to ground) so i changed my speed sensor with a used one and it worked good for two days then i got a code p0717(speed sensor no communication).i just put the old one back in to see what code I get so i will scan it tomorrow.it shifts fine but I get that code and the D light flashes. Anyone have any idea what the problem could beÉ
Old 08-07-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0717 Tran problem

P0717(speed sensor short to ground)
p0717(speed sensor no communication)
Why 2 different code definitions for the same code?
Which one are you trusting?

so i changed my speed sensor
Which speed sensor did you change? There's like at least 2 of them.

P0717 is for the input (main) shaft speed sensor circuit no signal. It's an electrical issue, it should not be a mechanical problem so that's a good thing. Broken/chewed wires? Worn female terminals in the plug?

Last edited by ezone; 08-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

i was wondering the same thing about why the two definitions were different. I think its where I am using the genesis scan tool and i can only read the trans code when I go into global
Theres no chewed wires that i could see.i tried to se if any was broken and couldn't find any. I have the old turbine speed sensor back in now and the only code i get is p0700.(which wasent there before with the original sensor and with the used one).

Also i checked the datastream and when im in park on the scan tool it says park, when in Reverse it says invalid when im in neutral it says im in park when i put it in drive it says in 1st the a second later it says im in neutral says im in neutral for D3 and says im in reverse for 2nd

I am a mechanic but this has me stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-08-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcnug
i was wondering the same thing about why the two definitions were different. I think its where I am using the genesis scan tool and i can only read the trans code when I go into global
I figured there were 2 different scanners involved, or something like that.

Theres no chewed wires that i could see.i tried to se if any was broken and couldn't find any. I have the old turbine speed sensor back in now
Speed sensor on the passengers end of the trans or on the front of the trans, or the one on the differential?

and the only code i get is p0700.(which wasent there before with the original sensor and with the used one).
You got a P0700 NOW? Where the heck was this code before?
P0700 has no real definition....

In the dual-processor PCM, one processor is for the engine functions and the other processor is for the transmission functions. The factory scanner reads them separately even though they are in the same control unit, but some aftermarket scanners can read them at the same time..

Picture this: Car comes in with a CEL complaint. Plug in the scanner and check codes.
If the factory scanner is used I pick "engine" first, because the check engine light on is the complaint. I would find a P0700 which is a generic trans code, it only indicates there is a transmission problem and I must then back out of the "engine" section and go to the trans section to scan the trans processor to retrieve trans related info.

Clear code command erases codes from both sections of the PCM in most cases (I can't think of any that don't)

SO if you find a P0700, I suspect there is a trans related fault code hiding in there somewhere and you haven't found it yet.

Or it's your scanner having a glitch.

Also i checked the datastream and when im in park on the scan tool it says park, when in Reverse it says invalid when im in neutral it says im in park when i put it in drive it says in 1st the a second later it says im in neutral says im in neutral for D3 and says im in reverse for 2nd

I am a mechanic but this has me stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Try some different scanners, this sounds like yours isn't reading the datastream correctly.
Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I figured there were 2 different scanners involved, or something like that.

Speed sensor on the passengers end of the trans or on the front of the trans, or the one on the differential?

You got a P0700 NOW? Where the heck was this code before?
P0700 has no real definition....

In the dual-processor PCM, one processor is for the engine functions and the other processor is for the transmission functions. The factory scanner reads them separately even though they are in the same control unit, but some aftermarket scanners can read them at the same time..

Picture this: Car comes in with a CEL complaint. Plug in the scanner and check codes.
If the factory scanner is used I pick "engine" first, because the check engine light on is the complaint. I would find a P0700 which is a generic trans code, it only indicates there is a transmission problem and I must then back out of the "engine" section and go to the trans section to scan the trans processor to retrieve trans related info.

Clear code command erases codes from both sections of the PCM in most cases (I can't think of any that don't)

SO if you find a P0700, I suspect there is a trans related fault code hiding in there somewhere and you haven't found it yet.

Or it's your scanner having a glitch.
Try some different scanners, this sounds like yours isn't reading the datastream correctly.
The way its reading it almost makes me think neutral safety switch is bad.

Dont these cars have a TCM ?Im new to the 7th gens and auto(the wife cant drive a stick yet)

i know of two locations for the speed sensors the one on top(turbine) and the one on thee pass side.I know there's shift solenoids on the front
Old 08-08-2014

Originally Posted by mcnug
The way its reading it almost makes me think neutral safety switch is bad.
I wouldn't think that.

You had a speed sensor code MAYBE IF the scanner is accurate on that part. (I have been mislead by aftermarket scanner conflicts before, it really sucks).

Dont these cars have a TCM ?Im new to the 7th gens and auto(the wife cant drive a stick yet)
Nope. PCM.

Oh yeah on the dual processor PCM comment, that style isn't used on all the cars but the factory scanner still treats them all the same when it comes to reading codes and data.

i know of two locations for the speed sensors the one on top(turbine) and the one on thee pass side.I know there's shift solenoids on the front
You are missing one....
The trans should have 3 speed sensors. Mainshaft, countershaft, and output (VSS).

I think the one you haven't found yet will be the problem LOL (IF the scanner wasn't lying about the code number)

Look again at the front of the trans facing the radiator.

Find #13

HTH
Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

im guessing that would be #30 in the pic.lol. thanks a lot man i will try replacing the other two sensors and see what happens
Old 08-08-2014

#30 is just a bolt.

#13 is the mainshaft (or input shaft) speed sensor, that's the ONLY sensor related to the P0717 code.
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
#30 is just a bolt.

#13 is the mainshaft (or input shaft) speed sensor, that's the ONLY sensor related to the P0717 code.
lol wasent really paying attention. thanks man i will give that a try
Old 08-09-2014
Registered!!

went out today to check if there were any broken wires and there were nose so i unplugged it and the plug was good. plugged it back in and it worked ever since