Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing belt from hell!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing belt from hell!

Been doing this timing belt replacement for over 2 weeks now !. Finally I over torqued the valve cover bolt and broke it inside the head. See picture. How Do I Fix this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	86875

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	86876
Old 07-15-2014
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Timing belt from hell!

those bolts have very low torque. last time I stripped the thread on one of those, luckily the other five were sufficient to keep the cover sealed without any leak, so in the worst case you can ignore it. here's one method to remove the broken bolt
the good news is that you have plenty of space up there
Old 07-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

are you kidding me?

holy crap man, bolts do not loosen by themselves,

those bolts only need to be hand tight and then snug them slightly with a wrench, thats it, no need to even use a torque wrench,
Old 07-15-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. I open it due to leak. The new valve cover seal I got from hondaautomotiveparts.com was a little over size and it was cut from the timing belt area. I torque the bolt little more thinking I forgot to torque it and thats why it was leaking engine oil. Not to mention that I have p0336 code right now for the stupid ckp sensor because I disconnected it.
Old 07-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Left-hand drill bits.

Finesse.
Old 07-16-2014
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Left handed drill bits???? I thought they only worked in left handed drills.

anyway....the rest of the world just uses 'easy outs' for this job. Patience is required and take note of all the metal shavings in the above video so wrap a large cloth around your work area so that crap doesn't end up in your engine. If a bit of the broken bolt was actually sticking out I would have used a dremel with a grinding wheel cut a slot in the top and just used a screw driver to remove it....much easier to do.

http://jaw.iinet.net.au/motorbike/easyout.html
Old 07-16-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Left handed drill bits???? I thought they only worked in left handed drills.
If one runs a left handed drill bit spinning to the right, it will be futile.

But if one spins it the correct direction, chances are good that it will catch in the broken chunk and spin it right out of the threads without effort or damage to the threads.

anyway....the rest of the world just uses 'easy outs' for this job. Patience is required and take note of all the metal shavings in the above video so wrap a large cloth around your work area so that crap doesn't end up in your engine. If a bit of the broken bolt was actually sticking out I would have used a dremel with a grinding wheel cut a slot in the top and just used a screw driver to remove it....much easier to do.
One must drill a hole before one can use an easy-out, so one may as well drill that hole with the left hand bit and run the risk of saving a bunch of time.
Old 07-22-2014
Registered!!

Finally got the damn broken bolt out. I ordered the valve cover gasket kit and changed out everything. Now Im still having the stupid p0336 cel because of the ckp sensor connector thing. I Cleaned it with Electrical connection spray cleaner than compressed air today. The cel went away and car drove fine than cel (engine light) came back again. I really don't want to open everything up again to change the stupid sensor. The car drives fine now but I still have the cel. Any one can help with this please?
Old 07-22-2014

Now Im still having the stupid p0336 cel because of the ckp sensor connector thing. I Cleaned it with Electrical connection spray cleaner than compressed air today. The cel went away and car drove fine than cel (engine light) came back again.
Was there any corrosion on the pins and terminals of the CKP sensor and connector?

Terminal (female) tension low, pin drag check?
Old 07-22-2014
Registered!!

I didnt see any on the connector but I cant see the sensor pins. Will brake cleaner work? Although it said "cover your wires and rubber materials when use"
Old 07-22-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Next time that happens, and a stub's left that you can't grab with anything... take a cutting wheel on a dremel, or even an automatic center punch, and make a slight slot or punch hole off center of the bolt piece.

Now take a punch, drift or pin whichever works... and gently tap the bolt piece CCW to back it out. I've removed many &%*^$*& Bombardier ATV and Sea-Doo watercraft French-Canadian-miser-engineered stainless steel bolts from them, using this method.

The bolt head, under torque against the surface of the part it's holding on, is what stretches the threads and causes it to stay in place due to friction and not back out, as long as torque is spec'd properly. So if the head isn't there, it's quite easy to just rotate the remaining threads out, provided the threads aren't corroded or you threadlocked the fastener.

Give that a try next time -- using a left-handed drill bit in a hard bolt material (like stainless, hoo boy) can easily cause the bit to bite into the soft aluminum around it... possibly causing a leak condition if you're really unlucky. If the tap-backwards method doesn't work, go for a LH bit... but the tap-out way works 90% of the time.
Old 07-22-2014

Originally Posted by bravo79
I didnt see any on the connector but I cant see the sensor pins. Will brake cleaner work?
If there is real corrosion, it probably wouldn't help remove it.

I'd do a pin drag check to see if the female terminals are too loose.
And look into "Stabilant-22".
Although it said "cover your wires and rubber materials when use"
Don't use it.
Probably can eat certain types of wire insulation, and there is a gasket inside the elect. connector housing that could be either rubber or silicone.

Have you replaced the CKP sensor?
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

The last thing I want to do is to open up the power steering, alternator, Harmonic balancer , Lower cover to get to the sensor. Its much easier to just clean it from outside but i guess its not doing it.
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i know this will not help you but im putting it here for future reference,

why did you unplug the damn thing?

the only time you need to unplug that sensor is if your replacing it,

if your changing your timing belt, dont unplug it, just unbolt and remove the sensor with the wire still attached
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

I know I know I read the instruction and it said DO NOT UNPLUG but the first thing I did when I sow it is I unplug it than remembered oh sh**t I shouldnt have dont that.

I think I either have to buy this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221141594094?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Or this
37500-PLC-015

I dont know which one is first
Old 07-23-2014

^One requires much disassembly, the other doesn't.

Roll the dice?
Easier one first?
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

I will clean it and clean it and clean it till no more plastic on the plug or the sensor it self lol. The damn thing is like $70 wtf? The repair kit is like $24 but if it doesn't fix the issue than I might end up paying $100
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

I will clean it and clean it and clean it till no more plastic on the plug or the sensor it self lol. The damn thing is like $70 wtf? The repair kit is like $24 but if it doesn't fix the issue than I might end up paying $100
then just bite the bullet and replace the damn thing

it seems to be causing you more trouble/hassle then its worth
Old 07-23-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikey1
then just bite the bullet and replace the damn thing

it seems to be causing you more trouble/hassle then its worth
Word. Nickel-&-diming your ride is always, always more trouble than it's worth. You're simply deferring your problems for later... esp if you're not that mechanically-inclined.

A racing bud of mine who used to work for a multinational property mgmt firm, said that the lower half of contract bids for construction, often cost them another 30% in delays, overruns, and added costs -- because that lower bid gives up a *lot* of oversight and QA. Paying up front for certain things, esp if the difference is less than $50, almost always guarantees less headaches in the long play.
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

Please let the pros give their opinions that's what im here for. i know whats going on and whats the mess up Im here more for what product to use or any trick, experience with such an issue. There is allot of posting and info when you search p0336.

I feel like im the 9th gen accord forum for some reason.

Thanks ezone and all for the (Helpful) comments here

Last edited by bravo79; 07-23-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2014

Please let the pros give their opinions that's what im here for. i know whats going on and whats the mess up Im here more for what product to use or any trick, experience with such an issue.
I believe I've already done this.

Confirm wiring integrity,
confirm no corrosion,
confirm female terminal tension
Correct any issues found above

if all else is correct and proper, replace the sensor. With a factory part.

what product to use or
Did you research Stabilant-22?
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

I did Stabilant-22 seems to be a good option. I will try with it again maybe tomorrow or on the weekend. If nothing works than changing the sensor it is.
Old 07-23-2014

Please let the pros give their opinions that's what im here for.
Apparently you haven't been to my profile yet.

Newbs...
Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

Its Noob...
Old 07-23-2014

n00b
Old 07-23-2014

Its Noob...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie.

Car running any better, now that that's off your chest?
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

Please let the pros give their opinions that's what im here for. i know whats going on and whats the mess up
uuummm, no you don't, or it would be fixed by now,

have you even tested the wiring to the connector?

you seem to be fixated on corrosion being the problem, what have you done to prove this fact, and come to this conclusion?
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

I will only respond to pros! not n00bs JK. Here is how I got the Valve cover broken bolt out.
I used this to get it out
http://www.lowes.com/pd_574653-281-5...r|1&facetInfo=

Name:	broken bolt.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	86901
Old 07-28-2014
Registered!!

Problem fixed!

Name:	ckp sensor.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	86919

Replaced with a new one

Last edited by bravo79; 07-28-2014 at 06:34 PM.