Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Windshield Air Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SyDiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Windshield Air Leak?

Hi Everyone,

Bought a 2001 Civic EX about a month ago and the windshield had a crack in it, but it was replaced by JN Phillips with insurance before I signed over the check. When I test drove the car (with the crack, there was no noise at higher speeds (took it on the highway). However, after the windshield was replaced, I noticed the car had an air leak coming in from the driver-side molding, luckily it wasn't bad enough for water to come through, but enough for an annoying whistle once the car hit about 30ish mph. I quickly had it diagnosed, and I replaced the strip which stopped the noise, or so I thought?

There is no wind noise until about 60-65MPH and then I can hear air coming through again - a faint whistle and it gets progressively louder as I accelerate. I'm assuming the cabin should be near quiet, but here's my question:

Is it wind coming in or is it wind hitting the windshield?

Any help and/or recommendations are much appreciated.
Old 06-12-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Windshield Air Leak?

I guess you could always get a piece of string or something and (VERY CAREFULLY) put it near the whistling noise to see if there is indeed a leak. Better yet, have someone else do that. It could be that your sealant isn't quite sealed too...
Old 06-12-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
I guess you could always get a piece of string or something and (VERY CAREFULLY) put it near the whistling noise to see if there is indeed a leak. Better yet, have someone else do that. It could be that your sealant isn't quite sealed too...
Hmm, that's not a bad idea!

And when you mean sealant... Is that the sealant/glue stuff that holds the glass in place? If so, I'm guessing the sealant is supposed to be protected by the molding as well?
Old 06-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Idea!

Leak test it.

Start engine
Set blower on high fan speed
set to fresh air
roll up all the windows
close all the doors and trunk
(Don't lock your keys in the car!)

Wash the car with really sudsy water. Look for bubbles forming around the windshield edges.

If it works and proves something, then great! If not, then keep looking. And it needed washed anyway.

-----

You could use smoke machine too. Got a big cigar? LOL
You could tape off various areas of the windshield and test drive for changes the noise.
You could have someone aim a leaf blower at the windshield while you check inside for leaks and noise.

-----

Windshields are installed and sealed with urethane.
If it's really leaking, return to your glass installer and let them fix it. Most of us are Human, mistakes do happen.

If your installer isn't good enough (some just slam them in as fast as possible without much care), then make your insurance get someone else to do the job right.

HTH
Old 06-12-2014
Registered!!

Even more great ideas, thank you.

I will try them this weekend, minus the smoke test lol.

(and, report back of course.)

Last edited by SyDiko; 06-12-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take the opposite approach... I would hotbox the inside of it and then get out and look for leaks.
Old 06-17-2014
Registered!!

Wasn't able to try any of the suggestions this weekend, but I might try with a can of compressed air today (on my lunch break.) I'm hoping the air hitting the windshield will simulate driving at 65mph (more like 100+ lol) to generate the whistle.

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I would take the opposite approach... I would hotbox the inside of it and then get out and look for leaks.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by hotbox? I'm assuming, it's setting the climate to heat, fan to max, putting like a soapy solution on the windshield, and check for bubbles from the outside? However, I could be wrong.
Old 06-17-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SyDiko
Wasn't able to try any of the suggestions this weekend, but I might try with a can of compressed air today (on my lunch break.) I'm hoping the air hitting the windshield will simulate driving at 65mph (more like 100+ lol) to generate the whistle.
A can of air won't likely be sufficient.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by hotbox?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQp_b33yt2M
Old 06-17-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
A can of air won't likely be sufficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQp_b33yt2M
Decided not to try the compressed air, as you're right - the psi isn't nearly enough. Can't watch videos over RDP, will have to wait until I'm home.

On a positive note, I called JN Phillips and told them about the whistling, and they're going to replace the glass to see if that will solve the issue. (I'm confident that it will..)

Last edited by SyDiko; 06-17-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't know what hot box means don't try it
Old 06-24-2014
Registered!!

Well, looks like the replacement windshield fixed the whistling problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Lol, yeah I figured it was something that I could f up.
Old 06-24-2014

Originally Posted by SyDiko
Well, looks like the replacement windshield fixed the whistling problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
YAY

Quote:

Lol, yeah I figured it was something that I could f up.
Did you watch that video? LOL