Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power Steering and Rear Cam Plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002-Civic-DX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys i'm new to the civic forums and i am seeking some advice and help on my civic. I took my 02 civic to a honda mechanic and he had replaced both strut assemblies in the front and did an oil change. He then told me that i had a small oil leak coming from the rear cam plug. He said that it would need to be resealed. So does that mean i would have to buy a new seal? If i do have to get a new seal, would i have to buy an o-ring or does that come with the new seal?
Old 05-13-2014
Registered!!

Hey guys i have a 2002 civic dx and there is a leak in the power steering hose so i will be replacing that, does anyone know how the long the job will take?
And i need to reseal my rear cam plug, if i bought a new seal would i also need to buy an o-ring separate? Thanks for the input!
Old 05-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic Maintenance

Welcome to the forum!

You would buy the cam plug from a dealer, it comes with the needed seal as a one-piece unit.
About $9.
Pop the old one out, snap the new one in. Easy DIY.

Plug is item #6 here

Link to dealer in R.I., discount mail order:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry 2=2002&catcgry3=4DR+DX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=CYL INDER+HEAD+%28SOHC%29
Old 05-13-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power Steering and Rear Cam Plug

Moved posts to appropriate area and consolidated......

Originally Posted by 2002-Civic-DX
Hey guys i have a 2002 civic dx and there is a leak in the power steering hose so i will be replacing that, does anyone know how the long the job will take?
Which one?
There is more than one hose, and we can't assess your tooling, equipment, or abilities.

If you are talking about the high pressure hose, the factory thinks it should only take a pro about 20 minutes LOL
Old 05-14-2014
Registered!!

Re: Power Steering and Rear Cam Plug

Originally Posted by ezone
Moved posts to appropriate area and consolidated......

Which one?
There is more than one hose, and we can't assess your tooling, equipment, or abilities.

If you are talking about the high pressure hose, the factory thinks it should only take a pro about 20 minutes LOL
Yeah sorry i don't know where to post threads.
It is the pressure hose by the way.
Old 05-14-2014
Registered!!

Welcome to the forum!

You would buy the cam plug from a dealer, it comes with the needed seal as a one-piece unit.
About $9.
Pop the old one out, snap the new one in. Easy DIY.

Plug is item #6 here

Link to dealer in R.I., discount mail order:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry 2=2002&catcgry3=4DR+DX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=CYL INDER+HEAD+%28SOHC%29

I was looking on partsgeek.com and i was thinking that maybe it would still work if i bought the cam plug seal separate rather than buying a whole new seal. But idk, what do you think about that?
Old 05-14-2014

I was looking on partsgeek.com and i was thinking that maybe it would still work if i bought the cam plug seal separate rather than buying a whole new seal. But idk, what do you think about that?

The correct part is LESS THAN $10 at any decent dealer, and you want to try to cheap out for less than that?

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2014
Registered!!

The correct part is LESS THAN $10 at any decent dealer, and you want to try to cheap out for less than that?

Good luck.
Hey ezone, is the cylinder head plug in the picture the same as the rear cam plug?
Old 05-20-2014

Hey ezone, is the cylinder head plug in the picture the same as the rear cam plug?
In my mind, yes.
Verbage can always be different between different people.
Point at what you want in the picture to get it right LOL.

The cap is to "cork" the hole where a distributor would go if it had one, and it can also the same as a camshaft bore (from the machining process) plug.

HTH