Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loose Drivers Seat/Broken Bolt. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Loose Drivers Seat/Broken Bolt. Help!!!

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX. The drivers seat has a broken bolt that is causing the seat to rock. I have searched multiple forums and have found numerous people that have had the same problem and ways to fix it. The problem that I have that is different from others is that one of the bolts for the seat bracket is is broken off at the top of it, thus I can't install a nut on the end to tighten down to the bracket to keep the seat from moving. The bolt must have been broken when I received it from the dealer(only owner). Ideas?

Does anyone know if this bolt is meant to be removed or how to fix it? I can't figure out how to get the lower nut off of the bolt to install a new bolt if it is meant to be removed. With the bolt broken off, I can't install the upper nut because the bolt is not long enough.

Help please!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	seat.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	86490   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat2.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	86491  
Old 03-29-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Loose Drivers Seat/Broken Bolt. Help!!!

There's a thread about this fix somewhere in the 7th gen forum... that's where you'll find the bit about removing the old broken bolt...

Looks to me like the only way to get more threads to spin a nut onto... is to find a roll pin or bushing the same OD and length as the stepped portion of the OEM bolt... then find a stronger bolt that's 5-10mm longer than OEM, in order to install a split washer, then a flange nut (perhaps with blue loctite) onto.

A roll pin on a bolt isn't going to be more solid than the original stepped bolt... but if you choose a nice stainless metric bolt, it won't break, which is preferable. Using enough torque on the nut will cause that pivot to freeze up... but it's better than rocking forward every stop light.

A good compromise could be... instead of a single nut and split washer on the outside to snug things up... get two slim nuts, so you can jam them together. That way you can lock on enough freeplay to allow the seat to adjust, without fear the nuts will back off. Again, a dab of loctite will make the arrangement even more OCD-secure.
Old 03-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Loose Drivers Seat/Broken Bolt. Help!!!

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
Using enough torque on the nut will cause that pivot to freeze up...
I'm thinking that is how someone broke the hardware in the first place.

Overtightening can't take up the looseness on the stock pivot parts, the thin bushings do that job..

"drivers seat rock" search result links:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...xperience.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...958-post3.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...anent-fix.html

But the problem of broken hardware might require serious drilling and creative fabrication, or straight up replacement.