Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to set ignition timing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zman21295 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to set ignition timing?

OK everybody...

I am very used to working on traditional, big, mechanically controlled engines. I've got a Chevy 350, Ford 360, Ford 490 and even an older civic. I know what ignition timing is and the affect it has on the engine.

I am working on a project and trying to convert my 2004 Civic LX Coupe to run on Hydrogen gas.

I know what needs to be done and I only have one big issue... Timing!

Because Hydroxy ignites instantly unlike Gasoline the timing MUST be TDC or After TDC. If timing is set before TDC then the gas will ignite and try and force the piston back down before the rod is able to keep the crank turning.

So traditionally you would use a timing light and twist the distributor... but that doesn't seem like it would work with this engine.

So long story short... HOW do you adjust Ignition Timing on a 7th gen Civic?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2014
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about
Re: How to set ignition timing?

You won't be able to do it with the stock cam sprocket.

You have to use an aftermarket one like this.
http://www.dezod.com/pd-aem-trutime-...c-0105-d17.cfm
Old 03-14-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm -- a cam sprocket doesn't have the cam sensor triggers on it, so it only modifies *valve* timing, not ignition timing. In order to mod IGN timing individually, the OP would probably need a piggyback module of some kind and look at maps (at least that's how it's done on the powersports side). At any rate the PCM will need to be accessed on a D17, I'm guessing...

@nsrhonda89: btw... do you actually have a Honda racebike? If your screen name refers to the '89 NSR500... that would be some trackday bike!
Old 03-15-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by nsrhonda89
You won't be able to do it with the stock cam sprocket.

You have to use an aftermarket one like this.
http://www.dezod.com/pd-aem-trutime-...c-0105-d17.cfm
I don't need to change cam timing but ignition timing (when the spark plugs fire in relation to piston travel)
Old 03-15-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
Hmm -- a cam sprocket doesn't have the cam sensor triggers on it, so it only modifies *valve* timing, not ignition timing. In order to mod IGN timing individually, the OP would probably need a piggyback module of some kind and look at maps (at least that's how it's done on the powersports side). At any rate the PCM will need to be accessed on a D17, I'm guessing...

@nsrhonda89: btw... do you actually have a Honda racebike? If your screen name refers to the '89 NSR500... that would be some trackday bike!
Thanks, I found something like this http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine...oller-f-ic-12/

But that almost seems as if it changes timing based on boost. Although you can retard timing by a set number of degrees.