Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Was I overcharged? (2005 Honda Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nailz73235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Was I overcharged? (2005 Honda Civic)

Newbie here... and (not so proud) owner of a $400 repair bill from a local repair shop. Can somebody who's more knowledgeable than I am let me know whether I was overcharged for my repair?

Here's the deal: My "malfunction" light illuminated on a Tuesday. I went to a garage recommended by a coworker. They used a gauge and said it was likely my oxygen sensor causing the problem.

Long story short... about a week later, I brought my 2005 Civic in for repair. I got a call about two hours later, and the mechanic told me that the problem was NOT my "oxygen sensor" but, rather, was my "air to fuel ratio sensor." He said the air to fuel ratio sensor was a primary sensor and, thus, more expensive to replace.

He charged me $275 for the air to fuel ratio sensor, plus about $90 for labor and $35 in taxes. So, in total, approximately $400 for my bill.

Is this a fair price to be charged by a mechanic?

I ask this as somebody with ZERO automotive knowledge. Therefore, me doing the repair myself would have been a total impossibility. The only question is which garage to take the car to. Did I make a good, bad or neutral choice here?
Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

my_first_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Was I overcharged? (2005 Honda Civic)

I had to do the same for mine but it was both sensors did it my self and it costed me the same so id say you got a deal
Old 03-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's legit....as long as they used quality parts.

The code is defined as 'oxygen sensor' in most scanners, but the actual part used is an 'air/fuel ratio sensor' (in the primary position) on that car.
Looks about the same, does the same job, but the internal workings are completely different, the computer is different, and it's far more accurate than a regular oxygen sensor.

They SHOULD have figured out what the price would be before you OK'd the job.
Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

Thank you, ezone and my_first_civic, for your comments. I appreciate your insights on this.

The mechanic told me that the list price for the part was upwards of $400 and that, by charging me $275 for the part, he was giving it to me at cost.

But, being as deficient in automotive knowledge as I am, I end up placing a lot of trust in these garages to be straight with me, both with regard to the technical details of the fix and the price of the parts and labor.

$400 seemed like a lot, but I didn't really have a measure to judge by.
Old 03-03-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Price, I looked up an EX on the Majestic Honda site. First price is retail, cheaper price is wholesale from that particular dealership.

36531-PLR-003
SENSOR, LAF
$341.17 $238.82

If they used a dealer part, they use the prices that particular dealer uses, not this one.
If they used an aftermarket part, these dealer prices do not apply at all..

EDIT: Price is really irrelevant now that it is over. You agreed to the price.
Your concern should be that it is actually fixed right IMO. Did this take care of the light? Yes.
Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Price, I looked up an EX on the Majestic Honda site. First price is retail, cheaper price is wholesale from that particular dealership.

36531-PLR-003
SENSOR, LAF
$341.17 $238.82

If they used a dealer part, they use the prices that particular dealer uses, not this one.
If they used an aftermarket part, these dealer prices do not apply at all..

EDIT: Price is really irrelevant now that it is over. You agreed to the price.
Your concern should be that it is actually fixed right IMO. Did this take care of the light? Yes.

It's a good point. Yes, the light is now off and, apparently, all is well.

Thank you again for taking time to answer my question.

A couple days ago, I mentioned the repair -- and the bill -- to somebody (also without automotive knowledge), and he told me I made a bad move not to get a second opinion... that I might have been overcharged. That's why I wanted to come here and see whether I actually had goofed.

Ultimately, though, the problem seems fixed.
Old 03-03-2014
Registered!!

jrnevada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nailz73235
It's a good point. Yes, the light is now off and, apparently, all is well.

Thank you again for taking time to answer my question.

A couple days ago, I mentioned the repair -- and the bill -- to somebody (also without automotive knowledge), and he told me I made a bad move not to get a second opinion... that I might have been overcharged. That's why I wanted to come here and see whether I actually had goofed.

Ultimately, though, the problem seems fixed.
All too familiar story to me. I had my light go on a week ago. Autozone said it was the same issue that you have. Was going to Honda the next day for some brakes. Asked about them doing the sensor, was told the part alone was $400 dollars. Called the other 2 Honda's in my area, was told the same thing. So, I believe you got a deal (if he used the part he said he did).
Old 03-03-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Yep, we explained to Nevada too, 05 uses wideband sensors, expensive ones.

You were not overcharged.
Old 03-04-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Yep, we explained to Nevada too, 05 uses wideband sensors, expensive ones.

You were not overcharged.
Thank you very much for the confirmation.

Once my friend put a bug in my ear about how I should have gotten a second opinion and $400 was a lot of money, I began questioning myself.

I appreciate this forum's collective expertise.
Old 05-15-2014
Registered!!

lvbs2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Honda 2005 civic. The engine lights started to flash. Took the vehicle to the dealer for maintenance and was told the oxygen sensor needed replacement else the car will be of no use. I have been doing the maintenance regularly . I was quoted $800(including labor charges)
Old 05-15-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

did you read the above posts? what is your question anyway? If you have a question, start a new thread, maybe reference this one with a link...
Old 05-15-2014

Originally Posted by lvbs2014
I have a Honda 2005 civic. The engine lights started to flash. Took the vehicle to the dealer for maintenance and was told the oxygen sensor needed replacement else the car will be of no use. I have been doing the maintenance regularly . I was quoted $800(including labor charges)
I seriously doubt the flashing check engine light will be fixed with an O2 sensor.

Flashing CEL means misfire.

You haven't provided enough info to speculate much more than that.

Got actual code numbers?
Old 05-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

You were over charged big time.

I replaced mine my self for about $70 and change. I have an 03 which uses a different type of sensor that costs less. Your 2005 uses a $170 air fuel ratio sensor. However, if i can get a genuine Honda part that cheap that shop could probably do better.

You were also charged for at least an hour of labor. This is a VERY simple replacement. I only used one tool, a box end wrench. The sensor is very easy to reach from under the hood and I had mine replaced in 5 minutes.

The guy didn't have to charge you $90 in labor for a 5 minute job especially after ripping you off on the price of the part. Speaking of which, the guy charged you $275 which is what the more expensive, down stream, oxygen sensor costs (genuine Honda).

The up-stream, air fuel sensor is cheaper at around $170. The oxygen sensor is about $275 (genuine Honda) and is a little harder to reach from under the car.

You got ripped off, sorry to say it. Go back to the shop and ask them if they at least used a genuine Honda part.
Old 05-24-2014
Registered!!

The mechanic told me that the list price for the part was upwards of $400 and that, by charging me $275 for the part, he was giving it to me at cost.
LOL what a joke. Anytime you hear this line you know you're being taken for a ride. Why anyone give you anything at cost? Unless you are either family or a very very good friend. Think about it.
Old 05-24-2014
Registered!!

He said the air to fuel ratio sensor was a primary sensor and, thus, more expensive to replace.
Another lie! It's the other way around. The oxygen sensor costs more than the air fuel sensor on an 05.

call up the parts department of any Honda dealership. You'll confirm that the air fuel sensor is the cheaper one. You may not get the $170 price I mentioned earlier, but whatever price you get will be relatively cheaper than the oxygen sensor at the same place.

Don't get any more work done at that shop.