Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny clunks when put in drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YYZRush747 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny clunks when put in drive

2004 EL, 128,000KM, 4A Transmission

On very cold days (-15 and lower) I have noticed my transmission will jerk/clunk when I first put it into drive. After this happens, the car will not accellerate for a few seconds despite pushing the gas. It's almost if it is in neutral for those couple seconds. The problem occurs when the car has been left outside for at least 4 hours in the low temperatures. All the gears shift fine, and the problem doesn't happen unless the transmission is COLD.

I've tried letting the car run for a few minutes (at least 5) but the problem still seems to happen.
Old 02-13-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Tranny clunks when put in drive

When was the last time you checked/changed the transmission fluid? Even my manual acts up a little in the cold...
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
When was the last time you checked/changed the transmission fluid? Even my manual acts up a little in the cold...
I would say probably about 3-4 years back (I don't have the mileage off hand as I am not at home ATM). It was a drain/fill not a flush that must I know. Maybe it's time for new fluid? It's -3 outside right now and I'm parked in the sun. Tranny shifted into drive fine 20 minutes ago. Cold-soaked tranny is my guess for why it behaves poorly. Keep in mind the -15 temperature with the windchill can be like -20 or -25. That's celcius.
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YYZRush747
I would say probably about 3-4 years back (I don't have the mileage off hand as I am not at home ATM). It was a drain/fill not a flush that must I know. Maybe it's time for new fluid? It's -3 outside right now and I'm parked in the sun. Tranny shifted into drive fine 20 minutes ago. Cold-soaked tranny is my guess for why it behaves poorly. Keep in mind the -15 temperature with the windchill can be like -20 or -25. That's celcius.
no harm in doing a drain and fill....thats the first thing i would try, just make sure to use OEM honda fluid and do not overfill
Old 02-13-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

There is a normal delay in the Honda automatics after shifting to D.... I just hold a short bit before accelerating. (both 7th and 8th gens)

But a drain and fill may be in order though.
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

The clunk/jerk is not normal as I do not experience it when the transmission is warm or when the weather is not very cold. Also of importance is that the CLUNK/jerk happens when I am immediately driving forward after having been parked overnight or for several hours. For example, if I back into my driveway and it's -15 or lower overnight it'll clunk when I shift into D to leave my driveway. If I back out of my driveway and then go into "D" I don't think it happens.
Old 02-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to speculate on what the issue may or may not be...
but I have a question

the car will not accellerate for a few seconds despite pushing the gas. It's almost if it is in neutral for those couple seconds.
What does the engine RPM do at this time?
Rev up freely?
Rev a little with great effort, as though there is a heavy load on it?
Not rev up at all?

Could this be an engine performance issue instead of a transmission issue?

The problem occurs when the car has been left outside for at least 4 hours in the low temperatures.
Right....I wouldn't want to move either.

with the windchill can be like -20 or -25.
Cars and machinery are unaffected by wind chill factor.
Skin and mucous membranes are though.
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

During the few seconds between when I shift and when the car starts to move the engine accelerates normally from what I can tell. Usually I let up on the gas a bit until it starts to move then give it more gas to keep going. It sort of reminds me of driving a manual car while releasing the clutch too slowly. It's almost if the transmission doesn't get engine input for 1-2 seconds.

At home now: last tranny D&F was January 2011 @ 77,000KM using Honda fluid
Old 02-13-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

During the few seconds between when I shift and when the car starts to move the engine accelerates normally from what I can tell. Usually I let up on the gas a bit until it starts to move then give it more gas to keep going. It sort of reminds me of driving a manual car while releasing the clutch too slowly. It's almost if the transmission doesn't get engine input for 1-2 seconds.

At home now: last tranny D&F was January 2011 @ 77,000KM
You said it will do this even if you let the engine run 5 minutes before you try to drive?
Or did I misread something?
I was thinking of converter bleed down when it sits, but you letting it run a few minutes should eliminate that as an issue.

I wonder if fresh fluid would help....DW-1 is the new official Honda fluid. Supposed to be better in the cold than Z-1 was.

Do you park on a slope? If so, maybe your bang has more to do with the park pawl releasing, as opposed to harsh engagement. (Note also, use of incorrect ATF can cause rather unusual trans complaints.)

I know the transmissions can make all sorts of bad sounding noises if you are not at a complete standstill when you select a gear or change directions.
Old 02-13-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
DW-1 is the new official Honda fluid. Supposed to be better in the cold than Z-1 was.
When did they make the change?
Old 02-13-2014

Here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/dw1.pdf

Z-1 was supplied and sold until inventory ran out, now all we use is DW-1.
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

You said it will do this even if you let the engine run 5 minutes before you try to drive?
Or did I misread something?
I was thinking of converter bleed down when it sits, but you letting it run a few minutes should eliminate that as an issue.

I wonder if fresh fluid would help....DW-1 is the new official Honda fluid. Supposed to be better in the cold than Z-1 was.

Do you park on a slope? If so, maybe your bang has more to do with the park pawl releasing, as opposed to harsh engagement. (Note also, use of incorrect ATF can cause rather unusual trans complaints.)

I know the transmissions can make all sorts of bad sounding noises if you are not at a complete standstill when you select a gear or change directions.
This is not a parking pawl issue as I am familiar with the feeling/sound associate with it. The car is not parked on a significant enough incline for that plus I try to set the parking brake prior to taking my foot off the brake anyways. My clunk/jerk is similar to what would happen when you shift after your parking pawl was under load.

I am not shifting into a gear while moving. Like I said, it happens when I put the shifter straight into D from Park. Yes, I have shifted from R to D while moving slightly however I always came to a stop before giving it any gas. Never had any noises the few times I've done this.

Here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/dw1.pdf

Z-1 was supplied and sold until inventory ran out, now all we use is DW-1.
Handa Accessories? Lol that link actually works.
Old 02-13-2014

Handa Accessories? Lol that link actually works.
HandA = H(onda) and A(cura)

There's also H&A - HNAtrans.com I hear they are very good. (I MAY have heard they build the remans for the factory, but I have never been able to verify that.)

----------------

I really have nothing to offer on your trans issue, based on your answers. Try the fluid change and see what happens?

If that's the only issue, fluid didn't solve it, and it works fine otherwise, I'd probably drive it until it drops dead. Your options to repair the problem are pretty limited IMO.
Old 02-13-2014
Super Moderator

Nice. Just got some new rubber Civic floor mats from H and A-Accessories today! They're good people!
Old 02-14-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I tell you that Z1 was gone quick, should have bought some for my 05.

I put DW1 in my 2010 at 50k while still under powertrain coverage (could have gotten either at that point), and again recently at 75k. Does just fine mixed in with Z1.
Old 02-16-2014
Registered!!

I checked the fluid level/colour. Both were normal. The issue is most likely from the cold as everything works perfectly on warmer days and once the tranny is warm. I'm going to leave it alone for now.
Old 02-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

I checked the fluid level/colour. Both were normal. The issue is most likely from the cold as everything works perfectly on warmer days and once the tranny is warm. I'm going to leave it alone for now.
leaving it alone is fine, and i would probably do the same thing, however, cold or not, what you are describing is not normal, and is not caused solely by the outside temperature, there must be another problem,

it has been -20 where i live for over a month and this has never happened to my car, my tranny operates the exact same regardless of temperature