Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL- P0740 Won't go away!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsanchez90 is an unknown quantity at this point
CEL- P0740 Won't go away!!! Help!

02 Automatic Civic LX- 114k miles
p0740- torque converter clutch solenoid.

This originally started with one mechanic replacing the TCC solenoid with another used one however the light turned back on and he advised me that the issue was much worse than he thought. My transmission was going bad which i confirmed with 3 other shops. I ended up getting the transmission rebuilt elsewhere and the issue was fixed...or so i thought. The lights turned on about 3 days later. This new mechanic told me i needed a new TCC solenoid and this would take care of the light. I explained how i had replaced it before but he insisted that a NEW one would correct it and recommended not to use a used part for this type of repair. 2 days later, the same issue with the same code! I don't know what to do anymore. I called the shop and the mechanic said he might need to complete a reprogramming top get rid of the light. Does this sound right? I feel like the light is turning on because SOMETHING IS WRONG. any advice? The car has no symptoms as of right now but I dont want to let my transmission crap out on me and end up with a bigger issue.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Re: CEL- P0740 Won't go away!!! Help!

Yes I wouldn't use a used part for anything electrical, especially when you can find a new online for less than $50. I personally would pull the solenoid and test it on the bench. Yes I have been a mechanic, rework eats your lunch and you can't take back electrical parts. I rebuilt my own transmission (long story) look it up. And long story short this code means it is likely yours has a leak internally.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsanchez90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback. When you say "internally", what exactly are you referring to? Could this have been a poorly rebuilt transmission? And is there any way to test for this?
Old 01-17-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

might need to complete a reprogramming top get rid of the light. Does this sound right?
Nope.

I feel like the light is turning on because SOMETHING IS WRONG.
YOU would be correct.

Here is what the computer had to see in order to set the P0740 code: The mainshaft speed is 89% - 99% or less than the engine speed (depending on vehicle speed and throttle position) for at least 16 seconds.

p0740- torque converter clutch solenoid.
Your definition is incorrect.
The correct definition is "A problem in the lock up control system". See above.

I ended up getting the transmission rebuilt elsewhere and the issue was fixed...or so i thought. The lights turned on about 3 days later.
This should have been taken care of under that shops warranty IMO.
Any respectable business will warrant their work.
They DID provide you with a written copy of their warranty terms, right?

You are in Cali? Call the B.A.R.
Old 01-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Internal leak meaning the TCC solenoid only controls fluid flow within the transmission to the TCC hydraulic circuit. Ezone's definition of what the computer sees is in short the input doesn't match the expected output, ie there is slippage in the TCC. Yes the rebuild is suspect. I rolled a shaft seal and caused it after rebuild... As said, this should be rework...