Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Recurring p1259 code (v-tec malfunction)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013
Todd Crump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Todd Crump is an unknown quantity at this point
Recurring p1259 code (v-tec malfunction)

I have a 2002 civic ex with 201k. The cel comes on (p1259) every time the rpm's are between 2500-3000 sustained for a few seconds. An example would be going up a long hill or on interstate for a few miles. The cel will cycle off every time the engine is stopped 3 times and driven a few miles during the cycle. This happens like clock work! I have had the variable timing solenoid replaced and before the old one was removed, did the test to check the old one and it tested good, but replaced it anyway. I have been told that low oil pressure could be the cause. The engine has good oil pressure when tested off the road, but never has been checked while driving (not sure how to do that).
I am a first time Honda owner and not very familiar with Honda equipment, any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Recurring p1259 code (v-tec malfunction)

is oil full? check wirings?
Old 11-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recurring p1259 code (v-tec malfunction)

After the solenoid has been activated by the computer, the oil pressure switch must change states to let the computer know the VTEC actually activated correctly.. If the switch doesn't change, the computer flags the code.

I see rodent problems here from time to time, they love wires.

Here's another one that is unusual, check the first post pics https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ing-p1259.html