Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

P0344 Timing Belt Change. Help! 05 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SilvySS is an unknown quantity at this point
P0344 Timing Belt Change. Help! 05 Civic EX

I changed the timing belt on my 05 Civic. The car had 116,000 miles on when I did the change. I also replaced the water pump and the tensioner. All timing marks lined up perfectly and cylinder 1 was at TDC with UP symbol on the cam gear facing up/above the head and the crank is aligned with the triangle.

The car started and drove fine with no CEL's only until I went WOT and when the engine hit about 5k rpm the CEL light comes on and the engine won't rev past 3500 rpm. I can clear the code with my scan tool and I won't have any issues until I hit 5k or so rpms again and that's when P0344 comes up.

DTC P0344: CMP Sensor Intermittent Interruption So I checked the sensor connection and wires and found nothing so I replaced the CMP sensor and CEL still comes up.

Pulled the car back apart and checked the timing again thinking it may be off a tooth. It wasn't, the timing was just as perfect as when I put it all back together the first time.

Things I've checked or replaced:
CMP Wiring and connector - Good
Cam Gear/Cog Timing Marks for CMP - No Damage or Flaws
Replaced CMP sensor
12 V battery voltage at CMP connector. Ign On
5 V Reference voltage from PCM (Center Pin) at CMP connector. Ign On
Ground checked out at CMP connector.
Cleaned and checked engine bay grounds.
No in or out play in the camshaft.

The car is completely stock and ran perfectly before I changed the belt.

Last edited by SilvySS; 09-25-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 09-25-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0344 Timing Belt Change. Help! 05 Civic EX

DTC P0344: CMP Sensor Intermittent Interruption
More info C&P:
Malfunction Threshold
Other than two CMP sensor pulsing signals are detected during intervals between standard pulses. This condition occurs at least 30 times.

1) Where did the new sensor come from? Dealer part? Use dealer part. Bolt tight?

2) Pin drag test the connector female terminals. Loose terminals can cause big problems. http://autotips101.com/cms/automotiv...onnections.htm

3) Tensioner spring isn't stretched?

4) Long shot......I've heard of non-factory accessory belts causing misfire codes (and there's a bulletin about this for some cars) due to static discharge picked up by the crank sensor.......I wonder if a factory timing belt might be needed for a similar reason?

There's my thoughts. IDK.

HTH
Old 09-28-2013
Registered!!

civicbyrc is an unknown quantity at this point

since the issue didn't start until you did the belt, then the timing must be off,or you damaged something. i know you already rechecked it but it sounds like the timing is off. i think your cam timing is advanced 1 tooth. if you take it apart and find that everything is ok than set the cam timing back one tooth and see if that helps. make sure the ckp and pickup didn't get damaged.
Old 03-15-2023
Registered!!

River4551 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SilvySS
I changed the timing belt on my 05 Civic. The car had 116,000 miles on when I did the change. I also replaced the water pump and the tensioner. All timing marks lined up perfectly and cylinder 1 was at TDC with UP symbol on the cam gear facing up/above the head and the crank is aligned with the triangle.

The car started and drove fine with no CEL's only until I went WOT and when the engine hit about 5k rpm the CEL light comes on and the engine won't rev past 3500 rpm. I can clear the code with my scan tool and I won't have any issues until I hit 5k or so rpms again and that's when P0344 comes up.

DTC P0344: CMP Sensor Intermittent Interruption So I checked the sensor connection and wires and found nothing so I replaced the CMP sensor and CEL still comes up.

Pulled the car back apart and checked the timing again thinking it may be off a tooth. It wasn't, the timing was just as perfect as when I put it all back together the first time.

Things I've checked or replaced:
CMP Wiring and connector - Good
Cam Gear/Cog Timing Marks for CMP - No Damage or Flaws
Replaced CMP sensor
12 V battery voltage at CMP connector. Ign On
5 V Reference voltage from PCM (Center Pin) at CMP connector. Ign On
Ground checked out at CMP connector.
Cleaned and checked engine bay grounds.
No in or out play in the camshaft.

The car is completely stock and ran perfectly before I changed the belt.
did you ever get this figured out? I'm having exact same issue after doing headgasket. It drives perfect unless I wot it and it hits 5k rpm then goes into limp with p0344
I changed the cam sensor
Old 03-15-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Did you use a cheap aftermarket one?
Old 03-15-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Did you use a cheap aftermarket one?
I used felpro
Old 03-15-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by River4551
I used felpro
cam sensor, not the gasket
Old 03-15-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
cam sensor, not the gasket
It was frim dealer
Old 03-16-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Clean the cam/crank sensor connectors. Might be filled with oil/coolant from removing the head.