Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Alternator correlation to p1259?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Alternator correlation to p1259?

I worked yesterday and today 7a-7p, anyway drove the wife's car and she drove mine and the light went off for charge, I cheaped on a rockauto alternator and it's bad again, no questions there. Anyway the battery is almost nill and a p1259 was thrown along with the abs, etc lights, it will crank, but not start anymore. Does the p1259 correlate with an inadequate alternator? NEVER had any VTEC problems prior to this and I wasn't behind the wheel, so diagnosis is a little stunted.
Old 09-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alternator correlation to p1259?

Has enough juice to crank,,, but won't run? That's odd. Maybe low voltage freaked out the immobi?

I have not witnessed what you describe with the 1259 setting with low voltage....

Fix the known problem (you have to anyway), see if the rest is corrected when proper voltage is restored.
Old 09-02-2013
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Ya cranks really slow, was running to try and figure it out and shut it off, now it cranks no start. Did not jump it. The rebuilders were closed d/t the holiday. Gonna hit them tommorow and see about the rebuild. I still have the OEM alternator. It was working fine, just noisy. I'm sure it needs bearings, would tackle that one myself, but I have no time for another week. Gonna see if it even makes since to fix that one or get another. If I get another I will take the junker rock auto one off for a core and keep the oem one.
Old 09-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The GOOD rebuilder here wouldn't bother rebuilding the "thrifty" units from discount stores. They would only rebuild OE alts and starters.

The "thrifty" rebuilder will stick more bottom dollar parts into already bottom dollar units.
Then you wonder why your lights pulsate.....

See where I'm going with this?
Old 09-03-2013
Registered!!

No wondering here, bought cheap because what I could afford at the time. At that point I was jobless for a year and a half for nursing school. I still have the oem, not even gonna attemp a rebuild on the sub $100 reman unit. I called the local rebuilder, he is full this week and has 25+ rebuilds next, so long wait time. I don't have time now to rebuild it myself, but I will in less time than 2-3 weeks...
Old 09-05-2013
Registered!!

I pulled the junker off today. The other one is in my wife's trunk and she is at work. I got the front bearing at NAPA today. I split the case of the other one to see what's up with it. The front bearing retainer has 4 screws well supposed to, now it has three. The other one went into the alternator. The reason is quit charging was one of the solders on the stator to the brushes was broke by it. I will update with the results when done.