Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throwout bearing or??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nikila is an unknown quantity at this point
Throwout bearing or??

Ok, I've tried to figure this out by researching other people's issues but I'm still confused if what is wrong is the throwout bearing or the pilot bearing.

When I start my car there is a slight squeal (even with the clutch pushed in). As I take off and accelerate, the squeal gets louder. If I rev the car up and then depress the clutch for a few seconds the squeal slowly gets quieter and sometimes stops. I usually have to get it closer to third gear before I can get it to stop. Though sometimes just sitting at a light with the clutch in can make it stop. Once it stops, I'm usually good until I turn off and restart the car.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I just swapped engines in the car and am not looking forward to another big job. I've only owned this car for about 6 weeks.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Throwout bearing or??

Like a belt slipping type of squeal?
Old 08-28-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Loose belt squeal?
Old 08-28-2013
Registered!!

Similar and that's what I had originally thought. But I just replaced the engine and the belts. The alternator belt squealed a bit when I first started it up so I unhooked the power steering pump and adjusted the belt again. Squeals were gone. Then when I started driving I had this other squeal start and it definitely seems to be clutch related.
Old 08-28-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A throwout bearing can only make noise while it is spinning. You could move the throwout fork by hand (or a tool) to pull the bearing away from the pressure plate, that stops the bearing from spinning. Pressure from pushing the clutch pedal usually will make a bad throwout bearing get louder, as it bears more load.

Likewise, the pilot can only make noise while it spins.... It does not spin while the clutch disc is engaged to the flywheel/pressure plate. It cannot make noise until the input shaft speed is different from flywheel speed. (clutch pedal pushed in)

Have you removed both belts yet just to make sure they aren't the cause of your noise?
Have you listened in the engine compartment for where the noise originates while someone else sits in the car and duplicates the noise?

Is the trans full of lube?
Old 08-28-2013
Registered!!

This is why I'm so confused because the noise happens whether the clutch is engaged or not.

The problem with trying to listen for the noise with the car stationary is that it only squeals loudly when I'm accelerating.

I remember this type of squeal (though not nearly as bad or as often) before my engine went and have since replaced the engine including all the belts, so is why I keep thinking it can't be that.

I will go out to the car later and see if I can't get it to make noise in the driveway.
Old 08-28-2013

One person I work with will ride around the parking lot while sitting or laying under the hood, on top of the engine, listening for noises while someone else drives the car..... I swear, it is quite an entertaining sight to see.
Old 08-28-2013
Registered!!

Oh! And yes, the tranny is full. I filled it when I replaced the engine 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-28-2013
Registered!!

Haha! I may have to try that!
Old 08-28-2013
Registered!!

So I went for a little drive this evening and it figures it didn't squeal at all. Then on my way home it started doing it again. It really does sound like a loud belt squeal. But what belt would immediately release some tension when I push in the clutch?
Old 03-14-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder if an alt bearing might be going...