Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New radiator, always have to top off coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point
New radiator, always have to top off coolant

I recently put a hole in my radiator and I let the car get a little hot (2/3 up on the gauge), and after putting a new one in (not oem) the coolant in the radiator always seems to be about a half a cup low, no matter how far I drive, but I haven't went very far without checking and refilling. It just loses that little bit every time. It isn't pushing any into the overflow tank and the temp is staying steady. I'm hoping I didn't blow the HG again when it got hot, but that small amount of coolant has to be going somewhere.
Does anyone think I blew the HG? Thanks
Old 07-27-2013
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New radiator, always have to top off coolant

Do you see white smoke through the tail pipe? Check the dipstick to see if the oil feels watery. You need to really look around for radiator fluid if you think there is a leak somewhere.
Old 07-27-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Do an oil change. Look for the dreaded "milkshake" look in your oil. That'll tell you if you're losing coolant internally
Old 07-27-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Are you saying you've changed the HG once already? If so, did you get your head checked and machined? If you didn't and you put it back together warped and it over heated again then it may be burning coolant because the heads warped so bad and the HG can't seal correctly anymore.
Old 07-27-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Are you saying you've changed the HG once already? If so, did you get your head checked and machined? If you didn't and you put it back together warped and it over heated again then it may be burning coolant because the heads warped so bad and the HG can't seal correctly anymore.
I did the head gasket over a year ago, and had the head checked. It was fine until the radiator started the leak and it got a little hot. My oil level hasn't changed and it doesn't look milky at all
Old 08-02-2013
Registered!!

So update, for the last 150 miles or so, I haven't lost any coolant. I went from losing about a cup per 200 miles to losing nothing. I didn't change anything and I haven't necessarily been babying the car while driving. I'm really confused as to where it WAS going and why it stopped. I'm leaving for college in 20 days and I need to figure out if something is still wrong, especially if I need to pull the head.