Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 civic ex automatic shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPX is an unknown quantity at this point
02 civic ex automatic shifting issues

Hello,

First time posting here so please bare with me. My father in-law has the option to trade his car for a 02 civic ex. The problem is that it's an automatic which has a shifting issue. Shifting from 3rd to 4th it apparently has a "soft" shift as I would call it. What it does when it's supposed to make the shift is like it's in neutral for a moment then shifts.

I made the recommendation for him to trade his car an 2001 chevy impala for it because he told me it had a "hard" shift which I figured was just high line pressure for whatever reason but not a big issue. A soft shift on the other hand is a whole nother issue and unless I can get some ideas on what could cause this then im going to have to recommend that he stay away from it.

car has about 120k on it, also it had the trans fluid flushed, changed and new filter put in it today and still does it unless you lift before it shifts. Any ideas?

Last edited by RIPX; 05-17-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 02 civic ex automatic shifting issues

Originally Posted by RIPX
car has about 120k on it, also it had the trans fluid flushed, changed and new filter put in it today and still does it unless you lift before it shifts. Any ideas?
these transmissions do not have filters, so the filter was not changed,

these transmissions should never be flushed, only drained and filled with OEM honda fluid, flushing these trannys will do more harm than good,

i dont think there is any hope for the tranny you describe, it will not get any better no matter what you do, only worse, and will need to be rebuilt or replaced sooner or later,

however i have heard of these trannys lasting many years after showing symptoms of failure so there is no way to tell how long it will last, could fail next week, or it could stay the same for 5 years, its your money and your gamble
Old 05-18-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If someone wanted it fixed here, it would get a factory reman trans.

If you want it rebuilt or done cheaper, you can go be pissed at someone else.
Old 05-18-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPX is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, this is what I was afraid of. I told him to stay away from it, while his Chevrolet doesn't get near as good of gas mileage, it doesn't have shifting issue either, so to just stick with it until he can find something else.

Wish they still made Geo Metro's ROFL.