Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering Knuckle Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Steering Knuckle Removal

i need to remove my steering knuckle tonight to replace a wheel bearing, any tips on doing this job? it looks fairly straight forward, i do have the tool to snap the balljoint free,

pisses me off cause i just did my pads and rotors recently, now that needs to come back off, oh well,

after i re-install the knuckle im assuming i will probably need an alignment done?
Old 05-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering Knuckle Removal

Originally Posted by mikey1
any tips on doing this job?
What does your service manual say?

I'd HATE to tell you about any shortcuts that aren't in your service manual. LOL

Tips? Tricks? Are you serious? YOU? Mr. Bythebook?

Can't tell if this affects you or not:
Most of the time here we don't even try to remove the ABS speed sensor (if you have one) because it is either seized by rust or the bolt just snaps right off. We just unplug it from the engine compartment and feed the wire through. Work around it on the press.

Use a small chisel to lift up the punched lock on the axle nut so you don't tear it out when you spin it off. This makes it easier to reuse the axle nut.

A "Hub Shark" tool is a fantastic thing, but expensive. Also, it is not "by the book" so I can't tell you anything about it because "I don't use it".

If you are doing the presswork yourself, slice and whack (cutoff wheel and chisel) the inner bearing race to get it off of the hub. Fast.

pisses me off cause i just did my pads and rotors recently, now that needs to come back off, oh well,

Oh, like that's a big deal or something. 2 bolts and 2 screws. Waah.

after i re-install the knuckle im assuming i will probably need an alignment done?

I always put it on the list. You will be real close just bolting it back together, but there is always a bit of slop in the strut bolts that will alter the alignment. You can move camber by approx. 1/2 degree, and toe changes right along with that.

(I wonder what would happen if you hit Ctrl+A on this post? Gee, I wonder.....)
Old 05-07-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Good to know. I haven't had a wheel bearing issue yet(knock on wood), but all that is good info.

I wonder how many people who read this are gonna be like what in the fack is he talking about.
Old 05-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

ezone, how did you do that? LOL.

Yes, the job is not hard save the pain in the butt BJ (insert giggles). You will need an alignment, mark it so you get it atleast close until you can get it to get an alignment. I'm a diy guy by heart, but won't attempt a driveway alignment
Old 05-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
ezone, how did you do that? LOL.
Ancient Chinese secret.
Old 05-07-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Ancient Chinese secret.

That ain't no chinese secret.
Old 05-08-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Yes, the job is not hard save the pain in the butt BJ (insert giggles). You will need an alignment, mark it so you get it atleast close until you can get it to get an alignment. I'm a diy guy by heart, but won't attempt a driveway alignment
thanks,

got it off, pretty simple,

installing the new bearing and lower ball joint today,

hopefully have it all back together this afternoon
Old 05-08-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
I haven't had a wheel bearing issue yet
you are either very lucky, or have low mileage, or a combination of both....i have had both my front bearings go now, one around 110,000 miles, and this one now at 155,000 miles
Old 05-08-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Check my signature... Ball joint DIY it will outline how to do the job.
Old 05-08-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Check my signature... Ball joint DIY it will outline how to do the job.
thanks,

got it all back together today, replaced wheel bearing and lower ball joint, running perfect and no more "wheel bearing humming/moaning" noise
Old 05-08-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great, that is rather annoying .. Mine was making noise for like 2 years I chocked it up to wheels but it was my bearings.
Old 05-08-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Great, that is rather annoying .. Mine was making noise for like 2 years I chocked it up to wheels but it was my bearings.
yeah, sometimes the noise isnt too bad at first and hard to hear and gets louder very gradually, my first bearing i think i let go about 6 months before i replaced it,

but this time i knew right away what it was, even though the noise was still extremely quiet, because i had already experienced the first wheel bearing, so i knew exactly what it sounded like,