Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic EX Coupe.. small electrical issue maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ericgray1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic EX Coupe.. small electrical issue maybe?

Quick story. I bought this from a friend to drive to a from work. The car runs excellent.

I have a check engine light that my scanner wont scan. Just says error. Its not a cheap scanner but its not expensive one either. Its a OBD2 scanner. I tried scanning another civic the same body style a few months ago for the check engine light and it would say error as well. But like I said the engine doesnt miss or idle bad, doesnt even get horrible gas mileage. Im averaging about 35 mpg. Not sure what the CEL is for.

The check engine light is the least of my concern really. My biggest concern is this..

When the key is turned to accessory or better (engine running), the dome lights will work with the doors open and the power door locks will function. Not sure if the cigarette lighter is supposed to work all the time or not but it only works with the key turned as well.

When the key is off the dome lights WILL NOT (no matter the switch's setting) turn on with the doors open. I can manually turn them on but they will not come on with the doors open, nor will the power door locks function. And the warning tone that you would normally here with the key just inserted into the ignition but not turned on, does not sound.

But i have noticed that for a slight small fraction of a second when you are turning the engine off, the 'key in the ignition' warning will just barely give off a chirp but then its like something flips the power switch to all of the interior power when you shut the key off besides manually turning on the dome lights.

I installed some HID's in the car and found out that if the ballasts touch the body at all they will not turn on. I have to keep them insulated from grounding out on the chassis which is not normal. My buddy sells tons of these kits and has never had this problem. And on top of that when im driving and i turn the head lights on its like the radio has to "reset". I will be listening to a cd playing and when i flip the lights on the radio literally will act like I just turned it off and then back on.

I have a JVC in-dash tv installed (its wired right because its not my first rodeo with wiring. I used the proper harness and adapters and connections. No electrical tape or cut wire harnesses). There is also a Viper alarm installed as well.

Note: The guy I got it from had a pretty elaborate audio/video system installed that i had removed before i bought the car. Subs in the trunk (the power and ground wire is secure to my current amp that i installed so its not grounding out or shorting. There were head rest tvs, and visor tvs that were removed and a bunch of neon lights everywhere. Had them pull it all out.
Old 04-15-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: 2004 Civic EX Coupe.. small electrical issue maybe?

dumb question but did you check all your fuses? It sounds like an electrical problem to me, Could be related to a lot of things.. especially the way they had the neon lights hooked up. I have seen people make it so they function like dome lights meaning your dome lights are not connected properly.. Start with fuses, then your going to have to play the cat and mouse game with your wiring..
Old 04-15-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

#1 Get auto parts store to read code.

#2 Check fuse called "back up" in under-hood fuse box.

Edit: if you get the domes working try reading the code again.
Old 04-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I installed some HID's in the car and found out that if the ballasts touch the body at all they will not turn on. I have to keep them insulated from grounding out on the chassis which is not normal.

when im driving and i turn the head lights on its like the radio has to "reset"
This sounds like the body/chassis isn't grounded properly.

Not sure if the cigarette lighter is supposed to work all the time or not but it only works with the key turned as well
That is correct. It is powered thru the ignition switch accessory circuit.

Dome lights and locks sound like a blown backup fuse, but could also be related to something else, like the MICU not properly powered up or bad.

The code reader: Is it self powered? Is the plug missing its 12v source on pin #16? Check all the fuses.
Old 04-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ericgray1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
#1 Get auto parts store to read code.

#2 Check fuse called "back up" in under-hood fuse box.

Edit: if you get the domes working try reading the code again.
I actually did this in reverse but in-fact the 'back up' fuse under the hood was blown. Replaced it and everything is working normal again.

I went to Advanced and their code reader error'ed a few times but after multiple attempts it finally read the code. Oxygen sensor, up stream, is bad.