Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

axle boot leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueMeanie is an unknown quantity at this point
axle boot leaking

has anyone had a problem with the axle boot leaking grease....i just got my car dropped today (1.50") and i heard a knocking sound, but the guy sed everything is fine and he checked everything like 20 times, and then he saw the grease....and yes, i read the article about the kcocking suspension and im going to honda tomarrow to get it fixed, if thats what it is, but theres a whole shebang-load of grase coming from this thing.....just wondering if that might also be the kncoking sound, from not being lubricated....its only when i make hard sharp turns...so lemme know

later
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

0100010 is an unknown quantity at this point
If its the rubber boot where the axle meets the wheel, thats your CV joint. It will need to be replaced. Either the bearing plates in it are going bad, or something got messed up, did you hit a pothole or speedbump hard? Dropping it 1.5" wouldn't affect it all, but your dealership will probably tellyou the drop is what caused it. Be sure to talk to the sevice manager, or if needed Honda of America. CV joints are not cheap to replace.
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Definately got to be the cv-joint. Do you hear a clicking or popping noise when you turn? If it just started leaking, they may be able to repack it with grease and put a new boot on. If it's been dry for a while, no lubrication, it will probably have to be replaced. They are expensive. Just make sure you get it taken care of because if it breaks, it will break the inner cv joint as well.
Old 05-27-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
If the grease is a greenish color it is your CV boot. Mine was gone. I took it into the dealership and they had the car for 3 days I got it back and it went back the next morning for the cv boot.
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
probably ripped it while compressing the springs or something.....

if you ran it dry with the wheel all the way turned you'll get a tick tick tick.

the dealer *may* do it under warranty, if not it's a 300 dollar fix...