Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Temperature Gauge

Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gixxer600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Temperature Gauge

Hi all,

I was wondering whether or not it is normal for the temperature needle to move from the 1/4 point up to the 1/2 point and then fall back to the 1/4 point once the fans come on. The reason I ask is that I remember being told the temperature should always remain steady once the engine has reached its normal operating temp, unless there is a problem.

After driving about 20 miles at approx 80 mph on a warmish day, I exited the freeway and came to a rather long stop at the first red light. I noticed after 2-3 minutes that the temperature needle had risen to the 1/2 point. After the car started moving, it quickly moved back down to the 1/4 point where it usually stays. Once I got home, I left the car running at idle to make sure the fans were working, which they were.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be advisable to take the car in for a diagnostic, or if this is normal behavior. As mentioned, in my experience, once the car has warmed up, the needle does not move. This is regardless of speed, outside temp, etc.

Thanks in advance,
gixxer
Old 02-04-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Temperature Gauge

You're right, it is acting odd.

The gauge is buffered, in that it reads about the same center position for a wide range of actual engine temps.

Grab a scanner or code reader that can give basic live engine data. (Maybe a Scangauge type setup?)

What is the ECT reading when the temp gauge reads 1/4?
What is the ECT reading when the temp gauge reads 1/2?

Once it is warmed up, the engine temp shouldn't drop under about 180.
If the ECT is dropping under 180 while driving after warmup, figure out why:

you may need a thermostat.
you may need to check the accuracy of the temp sender.
you may need ???

HTH
Old 02-05-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I can tell you I saw my particular vehicle(02 civic ex) do this once about five years ago after accelerating from a stop. It did it once and only once and it lasted about two seconds. To this day I can not tell you why it did it.
Old 02-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gixxer600 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I took the civic for a quick spin on the freeway while actively monitoring the temp gauge, which indicated normal during the entire drive. At this point, would it be reasonable to assume the car is safe to drive? I am still somewhat undecided as to whether to take it into the shop or drive and keep a steady eye on the temp.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i would just keep driving it and see if it happens again
Old 02-05-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gixxer600
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I took the civic for a quick spin on the freeway while actively monitoring the temp gauge, which indicated normal during the entire drive. At this point, would it be reasonable to assume the car is safe to drive?
Thanks
Yes safe, in that it isn't overheating.

Overheating does serious mechanical damage.
Running too cool "just" eats up fuel.