Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sean2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating

Hello. I recently had some heating issues with my 2004 civic lx so I replaced the thermostat which seemed to fix the problem. A couple weeks later my car overheated so I replaced the radiator cap. Didn't fix the problem. So I have flushed the system, replaced the thermostat, and replaced the radiator cap. The next thing I can think of is the water pump. I don't see any leaks from the pump. Is there any specific spots I should check for leaking? Also is there anything else I should check instead of the water pump? I'd rather not have to drop $700 to replace it if its not the problem. Thanks
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Overheating

Sadly enough, most likely a head gasket. Are you losing any coolant?
Old 12-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clinton_hedrick
Sadly enough, most likely a head gasket. Are you losing any coolant?
This.
Plus possible damage to the head casting from overheating.
And it doesn't really HAVE to lose coolant, it could just push it out to the reservoir.
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
This.
And it doesn't really HAVE to lose coolant, it could just push it out to the reservoir.
Right, it doesn't have to lose coolant, that just helps confirm a blown hg
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

This.
Well I didn't see any coolant leaking and yeah I do not know about the casting. I just dropped it off at Honda. Hopefully they can figure something out. Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

Yeah turned out to be a leaky head gasket :/ $2300 bummer.
Old 12-28-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sean2012
Yeah turned out to be a leaky head gasket :/ $2300 bummer.
Wow, that is a bummer. That's seems kind of pricey for just an HG job. Are you having other work done as well?
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Wow, that is a bummer. That's seems kind of pricey for just an HG job. Are you having other work done as well?
Yeah they are going to basically rebuild the top end. I'm at 150k miles and figured it'd be cheaper to just get it all done now. So they are replacing the water pump, valve adjustments and all that good stuff.

Update: so I have a question. The coolant was leaking into cylinder 2. How much damage to the cylinder or bottom half would that cause? It's been doing it for maybe a month or two I believe. It may have not been doing it every time but its been doing it for a while.

Last edited by sean2012; 12-28-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-28-2012

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

The coolant was leaking into cylinder 2. How much damage to the cylinder or bottom half would that cause?
I wouldn't think a whole of damage occurred or any at all unless some got past the rings and into the oil. Coolant in the oil can tear up all kinds of stuff. The coating where's off the HG at the firing ring area and causes the leaks mostly between coolant ports and the cylinder.

I just did my HG a of couple months ago. It was leaking into cylinder #3. I didn't see any evidence of coolant in the oil. So I just took everything apart cleaned everything up, put a new head, intake and exhaust gasket on. I had done the timing belt and water pump a year earlier so I didn't bother replacing them. I adjusted the valves. I changed the oil and filter twice just to be safe. I did a compression test and I had 210 psi across all four cylinders and she's been running like a top ever since.
Old 12-28-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Update: so I have a question. The coolant was leaking into cylinder 2. How much damage to the cylinder or bottom half would that cause? It's been doing it for maybe a month or two I believe. It may have not been doing it every time but its been doing it for a while.
Did you ever start the engine and have it misfire for a little while before clearing out and running ok again?
If no, then it probably wasn't putting coolant into a cylinder.
The most common head gasket breach is pushing combustion pressure into the cooling system.
It does not have to leak in both directions.
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt_75
I wouldn't think a whole of damage occurred or any at all unless some got past the rings and into the oil. Coolant in the oil can tear up all kinds of stuff. The coating where's off the HG at the firing ring area and causes the leaks mostly between coolant ports and the cylinder.

I just did my HG a of couple months ago. It was leaking into cylinder #3. I didn't see any evidence of coolant in the oil. So I just took everything apart cleaned everything up, put a new head, intake and exhaust gasket on. I had done the timing belt and water pump a year earlier so I didn't bother replacing them. I adjusted the valves. I changed the oil and filter twice just to be safe. I did a compression test and I had 210 psi across all four cylinders and she's been running like a top ever since.
Okay I didn't see any coolant in the oil or it didnt appear to be any coolant in the oil. So hopefully it's okay.
And ezone it did start up with a misfire every once in a while and I could never figure out why but I know now.
Old 12-28-2012

Okay I didn't see any coolant in the oil or it didnt appear to be any coolant in the oil. So hopefully it's okay.
And ezone it did start up with a misfire every once in a while and I could never figure out why but I know now.
Ok, so it probably was getting the spark plug wet with antifreeze...maybe after it sat overnight?
Probably won't be any big deal, most live just fine after the head gasket job.

The ones that usually have problems are the ones that were guzzling coolant through a cylinder, and the ones that overheated badly.
Billowing clouds of steam from the tailpipe that are visible for a mile, and traffic behind you can't see at all. THAT'S guzzling.
Upon teardown, if the cylinder in question looks like it just got steam cleaned, that might indicate guzzling coolant.

I doubt yours was anywhere near that bad.
Old 12-28-2012
Registered!!

Ok, so it probably was getting the spark plug wet with antifreeze...maybe after it sat overnight?
Probably won't be any big deal, most live just fine after the head gasket job.

The ones that usually have problems are the ones that were guzzling coolant through a cylinder, and the ones that overheated badly.
Billowing clouds of steam from the tailpipe that are visible for a mile, and traffic behind you can't see at all. THAT'S guzzling.
Upon teardown, if the cylinder in question looks like it just got steam cleaned, that might indicate guzzling coolant.

I doubt yours was anywhere near that bad.
Awesome well that makes me feel better about the situation! I'll post back here the results. Thanks for all the information.
Old 12-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Exactly what happened to my car. It would misfire only on overnight cold start, it was coolant in the cylinder.

One head gasket and almost 80k miles later and its still ok.
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

So Honda gave me a call today and said that the exhaust manifold was cracked. I would have never noticed it because it was always covered by the heat shield, but he asked if I ever heard any ticking and I said yes and he said that was probably the reason. Do you think the manifold was really cracked? or is he squeezing some more money out of me and would that be the cause of the ticking? The car has 150k miles.
Old 01-03-2013

It's very possible it was cracked. A ticking sound in the exhaust area, AFAIK, can be attributed to a cracked manifold.

If you're that concerned about it, I would have them show you the crack. It's been mentioned about welding cracks here, but IMHO, I'd replace it. Just personal preference.
Old 01-03-2013

So Honda gave me a call today and said that the exhaust manifold was cracked.
They aren't lying.
Old 01-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Cracked manifold?

I thought the car was overheating, I guess you have two problems?
Old 01-03-2013
Registered!!

Okay yeah I had them replace it. Thanks

Got the car back today and so fad everything is running smoothly!

Last edited by sean2012; 01-04-2013 at 12:40 AM.