Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

maintenance req light problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buckwild is an unknown quantity at this point
maintenance req light problem

The trip odometer doesnt work, so i tried pulling the ECM fuse. I was thinking it would let it reset but it didnt. I have had the battery out of the car last week. But the light won't go out. Is there any other way I can get it to shut off?
Its an 03 civic Si, I just got it and rebuilt it from a mild wreck. I want to get everything working on it before deciding whether to keep it or not.
It has a few bugs to work out and not sure if i should post it all here or start a new one for each?
Old 12-26-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: maintenance req light problem

With key at II press and hold trip meter button until light resets. ( I think,...been a while)
Old 12-26-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Trip odometer button MUST work in order to reset the maint light.

Key OFF> Push trip reset button>key ON (II)>keep holding the button until the maint light goes out. Approx. 10 seconds.

This is explained in your owners manual.

HTH
Old 12-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Trip odometer button MUST work in order to reset the maint light.

Key OFF> Push trip reset button>key ON (II)>keep holding the button until the maint light goes out. Approx. 10 seconds.

This is explained in your owners manual.

HTH
it didnt come with an owners manual. Not many ppl keep them in the car for some reason. I rarely get a vehicle that has one. of the last 10 i have owned only my current silverado has come with it. It was a 1 owner truck though.
And i read how to do it with the reset button but mine don't work. So i guess this isnt a common problem? The trip button not working?
my only other options are dissasemble/repair, replace cluster or remove the bulb.
idk if im going to keep this car, it rides like its on solid tires, it dont get around in the snow for crap, found this out today.
Old 12-26-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

We see the occasional car that has that button inoperative (I can think of 2 out of all our regular customers). The owners usually just ignore the maint. light.

You could open up the cluster to see why the button doesn't work, but nobody has ever wanted to pay to have me dig into it.
Old 12-26-2012
Registered!!

its probably a micro switch on the inside, not sure how to get the cluster down that far. did see something in my search but they were repairing the lighting.
Old 12-27-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I would bet it is a tact switch... which should last forever.
Old 12-27-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I don't have an Si but for my trip button to work I have to put slight upward pressure on the button before I press it in. It won't work if I just press it straight in. Downward pressure might work also.
Old 12-27-2012
Registered!!

tried to hold it up, down and sideways tonite to get it to work, it wont. Tried pulling the cover off to get to the screws but couldnt get it to budge and its to dark now. gonna pull the cluster to see what i can
Old 12-29-2012
Registered!!

fixed it. I got time to take it out and apart today. someone had been in it before. the yellow warning sticker was half in and half out of it. but while i had it apart i reset the switch and when i put it all back together it works now. got trip1 and trip2. Im hoping i got the speedometer needle back right. i had to play with the needles to get them where they should be.
On to the next problem/bug