Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

O2 Sensor: Upstream... DIY? Inexpensive parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCCivicNoob is an unknown quantity at this point
O2 Sensor: Upstream... DIY? Inexpensive parts?

Hello, my inspection was due October and I couldnt get it due to outrageous tint laws. I finally had time to take it off today and on my way to the inspection center, My engine light comes on. Got the reading, its the Oxygen Sensor, upstream. I really dont know what that is, but nevertheless, I got a price for the part: $250! I dont know if there is a cheap fix i could Do It Myself, or do I have to suck it up and get it done through a mechanic. Ill take any opinion at this point and Doing it myself would be nice, if I can. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: O2 Sensor: Upstream... DIY? Inexpensive parts?

Anything can be DIY if you have the right equipment.

The hex on an O2 sensor is 7/8 inch.
Upstream is first in the exhaust stream, the sensor closest to the cylinder head.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Yea, the OEM sensor is gonna be that expensive, but replacing it is pretty much just a matter of unplugging the old sensor and unbolting it from the exhaust, then doing the opposite with the new one.
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

EX or LX?

Buy a quality one or you WILL be doing it over.
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

Hello guys! Thanks for the input, and it was all helpful. I went searching for alternatives to this predicament and tried various things before buying the part. I checked the sensor for any loose or frayed wires. They were good. Then I went to the fuse box (inside the car under the steering wheel, second fuse, 20A) and pulled it out and found it good. When I cranked my car up though, the engine check light was off! So I didnt have to buy anything and it passed inspection! I hope I could help anyone that has this problem in the near future! Thanks for replying again!
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same experience with my upstream O2 sensor, and $250 was around the price I paid for a Denso brand, which I think is the brand Honda uses in their cars anyway. Just a word of caution: keep an eye out for that CEL. My O2 sensor problem was intermittent; meaning that the light would stay off for a few days, come on again, then go off again for a few more days.
Old 11-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I dont think that means your out of the woods just yet, perhaps you pulling the fuse made it reset.

Only time will tell. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies! As for the code, it was showing that there was no conductivity between the sensor and the computer, which I guess means that sometimes it does not get current. Yes the check engine light does still come on every now and then but it always finds a way to turn itself off. I guess I won't switch it until I get a reading that it does not sense an actual flow not conductivity.