Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Lock problem - what parts to order?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liusan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Lock problem - what parts to order?

I have a 2-door 2003 Civic. The driver's side stopped unlocking when when using the remote years ago, but I was still able to unlock it with my key. In the last few months this same lock has stopped accepting my key about 75% of the time. Someone probably tried to pick it or something.

My question is, which parts should I buy in order to fix these two problems? Do I need both a lock assembly and actuator, or something else?

Will I need to replace all my locks (both doors, trunk, and valet lock), or can I order a new lock that works with my current key and remote?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lock problem - what parts to order?

You have a sidewinder type key, right?
The lock cylinder either needs fresh tumblers, or a "barrel" and fresh tumblers.
The bad one can be "rebuilt", no reason to replace a set.

Dealer is probably the only place that has the tumblers for sidewinder locks. I know none of the lock shops here have them. Dealer SHOULD have a kit of tumblers and a few of the barrels.

Always cheaper if you take it out of the door DIY and carry it in to have them do the tumblers. Save labor $$.

Call and ask.
If one dealer doesn't know anything about it, call a different dealer.

Also know that the people you talk to on the phones may not have any clues at all, parts OR service.
The techs are the ones that should know about it since they do the work.

I know these things because I'm the only one that does the sidewinder locks at my dealer.

If they stare at you like you have three heads, show them this bulletin: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/tsb/a03-068.pdf
Old 10-08-2012
Registered!!

Thanks very much ezone. I'll ask about the tumblers and refer to the bulletin. Do you have advice on fixing the other problem of my driver's side lock not unlocking when using the remote?
Old 10-08-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ask about the tumblers and refer to the bulletin.
Don't bring up the bulletin unless they just have no clue that this is possible, and think you don't know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by Liusan
Do you have advice on fixing the other problem of my driver's side lock not unlocking when using the remote?
Do ANY of the power locks work?

If you manually work the lock on the drivers door, then use the remote: Do the rest of the doors lock or unlock? (I mean does the remote work at all?)

Either the remote and/or power lock controls are at fault, or a power lock actuator is at fault.
Several different possible areas and parts, I don't have enough info about what DOES or DOESN'T work to give an educated guess.
I don't know what the car is equipped with either (DX/LX/EX/etc., USA or Canada, factory remotes or dealer accessory remotes, security system, etc.)
Old 10-09-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Do ANY of the power locks work?

If you manually work the lock on the drivers door, then use the remote: Do the rest of the doors lock or unlock? (I mean does the remote work at all?)

Either the remote and/or power lock controls are at fault, or a power lock actuator is at fault.
The remote only works to unlock the passenger side. It doesn't lock the passenger side, and I think the driver's side won't lock or unlock using the remote.
Old 10-09-2012

Originally Posted by Liusan
The remote only works to unlock the passenger side. It doesn't lock the passenger side, and I think the driver's side won't lock or unlock using the remote.
This is why I mentioned about working the drivers side manually.

All doors should work the power locks at the same time when using the switch on the door panel. Do they work properly this way?

When using the remote: If the controller can't see that the drivers lock moved to unlock, it won't try to unlock the other doors. Drivers door must move to unlock position first.

It SHOULD attempt to lock all the doors at the same time.
But it CANNOT lock the doors if it thinks one is still open.

I would probably do the testing at the actuator connectors inside the doors.
See if the controller is doing what it is supposed to.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

All doors should work the power locks at the same time when using the switch on the door panel. Do they work properly this way?
Yes, the manual power lock works on both doors.

When using the remote: If the controller can't see that the drivers lock moved to unlock, it won't try to unlock the other doors. Drivers door must move to unlock position first.
The driver's side is in the unlock position all the time, and won't lock using the remote. It only locks when manually locked from inside.

This is a problem, because when I exit the car then my driver's side door is always unlocked. I can't lock the door manually as I exit the car because then my alarm goes off.

So it sounds like I need to (1) get new tumblers for my other problem, and (2) get my actuator and controller looked at?
Old 10-10-2012

(2) get my actuator and controller looked at?
You may very well be looking at a multiplex control unit (the complete underdash fusebox).