Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Thermostat Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point
Thermostat Question

I replaced my thermostat, and I've started to notice that it takes longer for the car to reach its normal temperature (temp gauge needle at the 1/2 way point) than it used to with the old thermostat. It takes about 10 minutes or so of driving. Is this normal? Is there any negatives to having an engine that doesn't warm up as fast as it should?

2004 Honda Civic EX 5-speed MT
Old 09-15-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough
Re: Thermostat Question

Did you buy a genuine Honda T-stat?
Did you test the temp that it opens suspended in a pot of water on the stove?
The negative for an engine that takes longer to warm up is reduced fuel economy.
Old 09-15-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

plus added wear, although not by much in hawaii - if you still have the box of the thermo, check the opening temps of it.
Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

scot0410 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can hold a pyrometer to the hose to get an opening temperature of the thermostat.
Old 09-16-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by em2maxamillian
It takes about 10 minutes or so of driving. Is this normal?
No not normal for Hawaii during these months. When I leave work from Pearl Harbor in the afternoon, it takes about 3 minutes or less for my car to warm up. Since it's already 85F to 95F out, it should not take that long at all for the warm up. And by warmed up I mean the temp gauge is slightly below halfway, which I think most would consider a "normal" indication. If I have my scan tool hooked with live data streaming the coolant is usually around 188F.

As others have already asked, did you use an OEM thermostat?
Old 09-16-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback. I got off the phone with the mechanic that did the work, and he DID NOT use an OEM thermostat. I'm pretty put off by the situation because there was nothing wrong with the original t-stat in the first place (I'm kicking myself over my decision to go ahead and change it since I was replacing the radiator and flushing the system). I know the radiator is not OEM as well. Could this affect anything? I'll monitor my fuel economy, but I know for sure that my car used to heat up WAY faster than this with the old t-stat. Should I go ahead and request that he replace the current t-state with an OEM piece? Is it easy to change? Can I just do it myself? (He'll probably charge me for having him redo it)
Old 09-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I know the radiator is not OEM as well. Could this affect anything?
No.
The thermostat regulates the minimum temperature, not the radiator.
Should I go ahead and request that he replace the current t-state with an OEM piece? Is it easy to change? Can I just do it myself?
Absolutely to all.
I DIY darn near everything.

Keep in mind, your mechanic could have mis-installed the thermostat. Put it back together correctly, regardless of how it comes apart. Order the thermostat AND the rubber seal for it, they come together as a set from Honda.

Part #5 here http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...SENSOR+%281%29
Go to the beginning and enter your VIN to narrow down the choices (maybe).
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by em2maxamillian
Thanks for the feedback. I got off the phone with the mechanic that did the work, and he DID NOT use an OEM thermostat. I'm pretty put off by the situation because there was nothing wrong with the original t-stat in the first place (I'm kicking myself over my decision to go ahead and change it since I was replacing the radiator and flushing the system). I know the radiator is not OEM as well. Could this affect anything? I'll monitor my fuel economy, but I know for sure that my car used to heat up WAY faster than this with the old t-stat. Should I go ahead and request that he replace the current t-state with an OEM piece? Is it easy to change? Can I just do it myself? (He'll probably charge me for having him redo it)
thermostat is simple to change, its two bolts, a 5 min job
Old 09-19-2012
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scot0410
You can hold a pyrometer to the hose to get an opening temperature of the thermostat.
But you cannot actually SEE if the thermostat opens at the correct temperature!
Old 09-19-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biscuit
But you cannot actually SEE if the thermostat opens at the correct temperature!
Of course not, it is hidden.
One can logically deduce that it is opening at a certain temp by observing things though.