Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bosbury1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Blown Head Gasket

Just got back from a trip and my Honda did well for the first 150 miles then it started to overheat had to put water in the radiator several times, and was blowing hot water out of the overfill bottle. Also, when i filled up the radiator the AC worked then it stopped blowing cold air as the car started to heat up the car has about 133K miles on it. Don't see any water in the oil and the two fans are operating. I see all the threads about blown heat gasket is this rather common in 7th gen? Is this a project I can do with relative ease i've done HG's before or shop? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Blown Head Gasket

Originally Posted by bosbury1
Just got back from a trip and my Honda did well for the first 150 miles then it started to overheat had to put water in the radiator several times, and was blowing hot water out of the overfill bottle. Also, when i filled up the radiator the AC worked then it stopped blowing cold air as the car started to heat up the car has about 133K miles on it. Don't see any water in the oil and the two fans are operating. I see all the threads about blown heat gasket is this rather common in 7th gen? Is this a project I can do with relative ease i've done HG's before or shop? Thanks in advance.
Yes, blown head gasket, common problem in 7th gen. There's nothing tricky about replacing it. You're the only one who knows if you have the mechanical ability to do it or not.
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

bosbury1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Matt,
Thanks will start to do the research the parts required the machine shop that can do the work at a reasonable price.
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

Mr Belvedere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bosbury1

Im 20, a first timer, and just changed my HG by myself.

-im re-doing it for the second time now
  • OEM HG (40$ i think?)
  • ARP head studs (craigslist/facebook classifieds 60$)(130$ brand new)
  • Resurface head (rough estimate 70$)
-the first time i swapped the HG, i...
  • Did not resurface head
  • did not use arp stud (reused oem bolts)
  • used fel-pro head gasket (40$)
  • also changed over to full synth oil (caused leaks, not 100% sure)
  • used h20 for the next two weeks instead of coolant (not recommended)
  • its easier to put things back together if u were organized

first time using a the manual [GET IT]...
    first time using a torque wrench [DONT CHEAP OUT] ...
    first time having my car not running for many days ...
    there are tools u will need. get em before u need em

Originally Posted by Matt_75
You're the only one who knows if you have the mechanical ability to do it or not.
Old 09-07-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mr Belvedere
also changed over to full synth oil (caused leaks, not 100% sure)
I had the same issue after I replaced my timing belt and associated parts. I decided it was time for the engine to have, what I considered, the "good stuff". The only leak I really had after I changed to full syn was probably the worst one you could have next to the rear main seal and that was from the internal o-ring on the oil pump. It involved taking off all the timing belt stuff off again and dropping the oil pan and pick up to get the oil pump off. Painful, but a very good experience and I know the job got done right.

The full synthetic doesn't cause leaks. The detergents and such in the full synthetic clean all the crusty deposits that were keeping leaks from occurring. At least that's how I understand it.