Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front End Rebuild - lets make a shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Front End Rebuild - lets make a shopping list

So. I should knock on wood before saying this. My 2001 is still going without fail. However, she's got over 150k now so she's gonna need some work. I'm hoping to start buying parts and come spring I hope to take a few days off work and start swapping parts. Engine-wise she is ok, the parts I'm talking about are the 150k old control arms, CV half shafts, tie rod ends, etc. Also I prefer to just replace the whole component, so for instance I'd rather do the whole half shaft instead of just the joints.

I want this baby to ride like new again. So help me make my list. I hope to keep editing it as you help me build the list. Please include which brand name you like as well. I'm probably looking for OEM or OE replacements, she's probably not going to find herself doing much track time in her old age. Also I'm going to include in the list things I should do since it'll be easier when I have everything else off. Such as a clutch and oil pan gasket.

1. CV Half Shafts
2. Shocks/Struts - I have GC Springs sitting in my basement that I plan on installing in conjunction.
3. Control Arms / Ball Joints
4. Tie Rod Ends
5. Clutch
6. Hub Assemblies
7. Brakes/Brake Lines

What else do you think I'm missing? Should I search out Honda parts or get an OE-like brand? Which brand? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Front End Rebuild - lets make a shopping list

Just curious are these things actually bad or you just plan on replacing them?

Its not necessary to replace parts that are still good.

I can see how your lca bushings are probably shot.. however I dont see how both axles can be bad at the same time..?
Old 09-03-2012

pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

I guess I'm just thinking about swapping parts. . lol. The LCA bushings and oil pan gasket are definitely bad. I'm not sure what else, if anything is bad. Maybe nothing. At my oil change a couple months ago the CV boots are starting to get brittle, but I didn't see any tears yet. Again, I'm not thinking about doing this until spring, which is probably 10k miles away for me, so things may start to go. I just like to replace things before they break.

I'm mostly just going on the fact that everything is 150k old and original and I wasn't exactly nice to this car in it's younger years. Plus if I'm going to put these GC springs on which will lower it a bit, I might just want everything to be new and solid up front.

I just miss my brand new Civic. I thought this might make it feel new again. lol
Old 09-07-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Im all for preventive maintenance, however changing things that are not broken is just a waste of time and money.

The control arm bushings is a good thing to do.

Check both tie rods and both ball joints for play. If to have ANY play in them replace them.

A good set of tires along with a tire balance and alignment can also go a long way at what you feel at the steering wheel.

Lastly the front motor mount is known to go bad and can cause nasty vibrations, change that and that will get your car back to that "new" feel again.
Old 10-05-2012

Are front end parts typically in good shape after 150k? I suppose I can check around for play.

The front motor mount is a good idea to look at, thanks for that tip. I do have a vibration up front.

I also hear a clunk when I go over bumps and I know the Control Arm bushings are torn.

There seems to be a vibration sound coming from the front struts. . I suspect those are tired as well.

Then there is a bit of a squeak/rubbing/metallic sound when in a parking lot and turning at 5mph or so, which makes me think CV joints.

So that's kind of where I am. That's most of the stuff there, so I thought it wouldn't be too much to just replace it all. . Just my thoughts though. .

Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

I would imagine it depends how you drive, and where.

If you drive in a place where there is alot of bumps and salt, surely you will see that in a car over the years.

Front motor mount you will feel in the steering wheel. Pop hood and look down, put your finger around the area where the mount is solid, if its cracked its bad.

Could be the LCA, could be alot of things. You need to check them out, easy to do you dont even need to jack the car up. Just lock the wheel in each direction and look.

Could be strut mount bushings. Check the boots on your axles too, if they are ripped you might as well change them.

Start with what you KNOW is bad.
Old 11-12-2012

Good advice. No sense of throwing good money at good parts. I've more or less babied my car since I got it new in 2001. But it was parked outside for many years (garaged now) and I live in Nebraska, which has it's fair share of crappy weather.

I was just under there for an oil change. I'm still amazed how great it looks compared to other cars of it's age. Honda did a great job of undercoating and painting underneath. Almost looks new under there. Here is what I found:

1. My oil pan gasket is seeping a bit, not dripping oil, just making a oily greasy mess on the pan. I'll have to change that sometime in the not too distance future.

2. I didn't see any tears in the CV boots. I've made a habit over the years of rubbing a thin layer of oil on them during my oil changes to keep them soft. Seems to have worked pretty good.

3. I can confirm the LCA bushings are starting to tear. Looks like folks on here recommend a press to push them out. So I think it would be easier to just replace the whole arm. Although a bit more money.

4. I do have the "clunk" noise when I turn the wheel all the way and give it a little gas. That is usually tie rods, if I remember correctly?

5. The front struts look to be leaking a bit. Those will be a future project as well.

So if start with LCAs, and Tie Rod Ends. What brands do you like? I looked on Majestic Honda, but I can't seem to find them. Maybe Honda doesn't make them anymore?
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
colbyem2 is an unknown quantity at this point

for lcas i used engery suspenion bushings i love them sorta easy if you have a press and heat, if not go with stock new control arms