Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

05 si hatchback...has me baffled!! help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tattoosbysean is an unknown quantity at this point
05 si hatchback...has me baffled!! help please!

ok, first off, im new here and i really like the information on this site and i hope i will be able too add too the information. heres my problem..when i started my car, i would hear a bad rattle from the right side of the engine until it warmed up...after it warmed up there was no more sound.. i was driving my car one day and shut it off to go into the store. when i started it back up it would hardly run...it literally felt like it was on two cylinders. it wouldnt rev past 4000 rpm. i got it home, i changed the plugs and it didnt help at all...i take it too the shop and they said the timing jumped 2 teeth and had a bad tensioner(hence the rattle i heard). got that fixed and went too pick it up today and i started it and now it has a very rough idle. it jumps quickly from 500 to 1500 rpms. seems to run fine off of idle. the only codes showing up are for o2 sensor and cam solenoid. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-21-2012
Registered!!

EM202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 05 si hatchback...has me baffled!! help please!

Originally Posted by tattoosbysean
the only codes showing up are for o2 sensor and cam solenoid.
I'd start by getting those taken care of. Both can cause the motor to run like crap. There is a DIY on here for the cam sensor too if your not sure on that. Make sure on the O2 sensor that you get the right one for the one you need to replace, upstream and downstream look and act differently. If you put the wrong one in the the wrong spot, it wont fix it.
Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yes fix those codes.
Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

well, replaced everything and still idles real bad and the code for cam solenoid still comes on...now the mechanic is saying its the timing chain. i hope he's right
Old 06-23-2012
Registered!!

ok, timing chain is replaced...runs and idles good...but... after it runs for a few minutes, it wont rev past 4000 rpm. if i turn the key off real quick and turn it back on it rus fine except it doesnt seem to have the normal surge of power at 4k rpm. i checked oil and its good. i tried resetting the computer, still the same thing. any ideas?
Old 06-24-2012
Registered!!

MrPopeye will become famous soon enough

I would take it to another mechanic for a 2nd opinion.
Old 06-29-2012
Registered!!

ok, im getting frustrated with this car. thw car seems to run fine when you first start it...then after a few minutes it goes into limp mode...if i turn the key off and then back on it runs fine for a few minutes. the only code im getting now is for a oil pressure sensor.
Old 07-03-2012
Registered!!

changed the oil pressure switch....still goes into limp mode. im lost! any ideas??
Old 07-04-2012
Registered!!

looks like i might have it figured out...it may have been one of 3 things...1..i checked the oil again but this time i checked real close...it was way over full...2..the oil may have been bad. it looked nasty and the mechanic was supposed to change it. i have a feeling he just added too it. 3...the clamp that holds the big boot to the air box was super loose. it would spin around the boot without any pressure. I changed the oil and filter today and used royal purple. everything is running how its supposed too now. i just wish i knew which one of those issues was the actual problem.
Old 07-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The timing chain stretches, wears, and jumps time from neglect of the oil, and wrong oil.
Common problem among the JizzyLube, WallyWorld, and the low maintenance crowd.

wish i knew which one of those issues was the actual problem
Probably the oil.

The VTEC stuff all depends on oil pressure to operate. How far overfull was the oil?

Overfill far enough and it can cause the oil to foam, and foam can't build necessary pressure.

I have chased a problem caused by a hack replacing the timing chain...not only out of time with a brand new chain on it, but had used gray silicone to seal up O rings that should have been replaced in the timing cover. The silicone got into the VTEC solenoid filter screen and clogged it up big time. Couldn't actuate at all.