Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange noise coming from wheel well, help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
common reactor is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange noise coming from wheel well, help please

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum so please don't flame me. I've had a 2004 coupe for over a year now and it's been a great DD. Also, if anyone is on S2KI you might know me from the same name on those forums, I'm on there all the time.

Anyway, my front passenger wheel well has been making a strange noise when I'm on the highway. It's almost a loud humming noise, kind of sounds like the tire is rubbing almost but that's not it. It only happens when I'm going in the area of 70-80mph but it's getting annoying and I want to know what it could be. I was thinking I needed a new bearing possibly, but I wanted to get opinions.

And I know I can't describe the sound well enough so any of you could possibly diagnose what it is, but just try to help if you can. I've been in your position and I know these threads look stupid sometimes, but I do most of the work on my car myself and I'd like to have some idea of what it is if this is a common problem rather than taking apart the entire brake assembly first.
Old 06-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strange noise coming from wheel well, help please

try rotating the tires front to back and see if the noise changes. if it does, its the tires. if not, wheel bearing.