Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Just got lifetime alignment for $120 :D

Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiquidArrogance is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got lifetime alignment for $120 :D

After my suspension work yesterday I wanted to get the alignment done and had read on these forums about the lifetime alignment at Firestone. Had never been there but considering my usual shop charges $90 for an alignment this seemed like a no-brainer.

The lifetime is normally $250 but I guess is on sale right now for $169. I showed up at the shop at 10-till seven because they're supposed to open at seven. No one was there except for one employee parked on the side waiting for the keyholder to show up. Waited an hour in the rain before another guy who wasn't even supposed to work today finally showed up to open shop. He knocked the lifetime alignment down to $120 for me. I'd say it was worth the wait
Old 04-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just got lifetime alignment for $120 :D

Will be interesting to see just how much truly unnecessary work they try to sell you in the future, to make up for that.
Or how quickly and shoddliy they can slam out your future free alignments so you will go away.
I've seen several versions of this play out, and while it may work ok in the short term, it doesn't always turn out well in the long term.

Most average people blindly believe whatever someone in a uniform tells them when it comes to anything they don't know themselves. A uniform must give some people a sense of knowledge or authority.

It's part of how chain stores survive.

/Cynic
Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LiquidArrogance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Will be interesting to see just how much truly unnecessary work they try to sell you in the future, to make up for that.
Or how quickly and shoddliy they can slam out your future free alignments so you will go away.
I've seen several versions of this play out, and while it may work ok in the short term, it doesn't always turn out well in the long term.

Most average people blindly believe whatever someone in a uniform tells them when it comes to anything they don't know themselves. A uniform must give some people a sense of knowledge or authority.

It's part of how chain stores survive.

/Cynic
but they have colorful patches on their shoulders! surely they have my best interest and budgetary needs in mind???

I appreciate the heads up. I don't plan on getting anything but the alignments done there and if they ever tell me I need otherwise I will be certain to check here and with my other mechanic before doing anything. Especially after this morning's experience!
Old 04-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiquidArrogance
but they have colorful patches on their shoulders!
I don't care about your budget much, I'm there to solve problems.

I have a bunch of patches too.
My ASE patches have never been sewn on.
I haven't worn a complete uniform in at least 20 years.
I rarely ever wear more uniform than a work coat or a uniform shirt, and I throw the shirt on more like a jacket.
Almost never wear one in warm weather unless I think I'm going to get dirty. I hate getting dirty, they don't pay me enough to do it.

I'm sure customers wonder who the crazy homeless biker hippie looking dude wandering around is.
They don't talk to me much, and I much prefer it that way. I don't like dealing with people.
I have been called "rude" (damn straight, LMF'nAO) by customers, maybe because I can't really dumb it down to their level, maybe because I have almost zero patience for idiots, I don't know....
I have turned and walked away just to keep from blurting out the wrong thing before too.

(To be fair, if this was a cooking forum or something, I would be a total n00b.)

Patches and uniforms that represent this profession don't seem to garner much (any) respect among the general public.
The only patches I was ever remotely proud to wear in public were Mercedes Benz and Porsche.