Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P0401 & P0401 Pending 04 EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c2heat is an unknown quantity at this point
P0401 & P0401 Pending 04 EX

P0401 & P0401 Pending. I replaced the EGR valve with a new one and sprayed the hell out the ports it connects to. Used Brake cleaner and vaccum cleaner. Obviously this is a common problem, but no has posted a Pending. I'm not real familiar with my motor. Minor fixes, ie oil change, filters, easy stuff you know. What is something that I can do to get it cleared enoughed for the emissions test here for Indiana. Taken it twice to emissions after driving about 40 mi. Roughly what it needs to reset the obd. Just learned that after a few times of doing it. I put a bottle of Seafoam. Gonna drive a 600 mile round trip for work. I travel every wkend. Put 70,000 miles in 2 yrs. I need whatever can help keep my mind and car from blowing up (strapping C4 on it and driving off a cliff).
Old 03-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P0401 & P0401 Pending 04 EX

The definition for P0401 is "insufficient EGR flow".

99% of the time this means the passages are clogged. Spraying and liquids will not give the desired results.

On this gen of Civic, the fix entails pulling the intake manifold off and cleaning all of the carbon buildup out the EGR passage plate.
Old 03-18-2012
Registered!!

I figured as much. ill try it next wkend. maybe post sum pics if i can sum1 off their hind end to help me out. saw sum videos helpfull but u can always add more. Thanks
Old 03-18-2012
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by c2heat
I figured as much. ill try it next wkend. maybe post sum pics if i can sum1 off their hind end to help me out. saw sum videos helpfull but u can always add more. Thanks
I did this about 2 months ago. It's doable in a weekend. Get parts before hand. Let me find a couple of threads to help...

Step by step:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-passages.html

This is my long *** thread, but one specific post has some notes in it:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4582097

Here is a nice short one(you can follow the links in this post for more info):
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...47521-egr.html

I'll check this thread next weekend and see what's up.

Last edited by fsckewe; 03-18-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes it is possible to take a small round wire brush on a flexible rod, take the egr valve off and snake it through the passages and clean them out enough to keep the light off. EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It reroutes some of the spent exhaust gas back into the cylinders. It is spent, therefore inert to the combustion process. It just takes up space so there isn't as many hydrocarbons being produced. It will net exactly zero performance loss, maybe fuel economy.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Ok did seafoam treatment in intake. Cool, every video showed what i could to with a lame 1 min video and post. Its neat to see it in person.

Never the less, my buddy told me to change out the spark plugs after doing it. Ok now i got oil in my spark plug tube, crap. went and bought new gasket. The valve gasket is good, real good.

Now the damn grommets for the spark plugs wont come off the valve cover. Tried scraping but they are in there good. Any ideas before i just go buy a new valve cover from honda????

This the 3rd weekend that ive gone and changed the opposite of what my intial egr prob! lol thanks guys
Old 03-24-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by c2heat
Now the damn grommets for the spark plugs wont come off the valve cover. Tried scraping but they are in there good. Any ideas before i just go buy a new valve cover from honda????
Examine the new tube seals.
They have a steel ring around the outer part, so they are very stiff.
They have to be pressed out and in to the valve cover.
A hammer and screwdriver might be used (if you are real careful) to remove them, and I sometimes use a socket of the right diameter to press them back in.

You don't need a new valve cover unless you somehow break it.

HTH