Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

has anyone noticed a knocking noise coming from the wheels when turning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicTwinZ is an unknown quantity at this point
has anyone noticed a knocking noise coming from the wheels when turning?

I noticed that when i turn the wheel completely to one side a knocking sound comes from the tires ? has anyone had this problem?
Old 03-04-2002
Alt
Registered!!

Alt is an unknown quantity at this point
when i turn my wheel all the way to one side, i get a knocking noise, but it sounds more like its coming from the steering column. not sure what exactly is going on. i need to just run up to Honda with a list and let them look at everything, the money i'm forking over to them, they could at least spend a few minutes making sure my car's not about to blow up
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Marker02 is an unknown quantity at this point
do this. take two people, one in car turning wheel and the other outside car, on either one of the wheels, looking at springs. then first person turns the wheel and second watches for noise (ie spring) then check other side. my noise, sounds like you having the same noise, came from the spring, so tell me what you find.
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem. it's most noticable when making a u-turn. I'll add it to my present list of Bullsh1t.
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

MyCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys my left front tire was making a knocking noise each time I turned. I went to the dealer I told him, took a mechanic for a ride and 30 min later they told me that my Shock absorbers and springs were busted. Warranty covered it - i did not lower the car - So if I would be you I would go to the dealership and check that thing out
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been hearing a "clicking" type of sound when I back out in the morning. I am usually backing to the left, and I hear it from the approximate area of the left front wheel/base of the steering column. It just does it once, and I don't hear it at any other time during the day, that I have noticed.
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

MyCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
dma001 that is what I had, except it would make that noise each time I was turning my tires left - only when going no more then 10 mph- I would checkit out with the dealr dude. Peace
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
The clicking or clank noise when backing out in the morning is your brake pads. I believe it is because when you pull in and park you probably push on the brakes to stop your car from continuing forward. There is enough play in our cars' pads that when you pull out in the morning, the rotor will initially grab the pad and shift it backward causing that noise. This happened to me but I took the pads off, went to Honda and picked up the brake pad grease that they sell with new pads, then loaded the grease onto the back of the pads. Just put a nice even layer on and re-install. Make sure you don't get the stuff on any of the brake contact surfaces (i.e. rotor, brake pad material, etc.).

This fixed my brakes and never hear that noise anymore. EASY FIX!
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
i have that one time click sound when i first start up too. mine does it more often then just when i start up in the morning but only makes it when i first start up, not while driving.
Old 03-06-2002
AJ
Registered!!

AJ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a poping niose sometimes when I turn. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-09-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

bluelight is an unknown quantity at this point
i've had that pop clicking noise a few times and when i took it back to the dealer... they checked it and said that it was fine
Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
OKAY!!!!

I have a theory on this - everyone who has heard this... (i have)... do you have wheel covers or rims?

I noticed the other day my hubcaps aren't as tight knit to my tire anymore... and i haven't heard the clicking of late. I'm not sure but I think it might've been the hubcaps 'flicking' out of their place... so... now you've heard my theory - please either defeat my theory by telling me u hear this and have rims [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] then i can go back to feeling stupid [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] OR prove my theory so ill feel smart or something bahaha

~B
Old 03-09-2002
Registered!!

Cristo is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem........my left strut cracked and leaked alll the oil out.............i brought it to honda and they fixed it for free
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

unCIVilized is an unknown quantity at this point
i just got my car back for the same problem. it turned out to be a loose bolt on the contorl arm.[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

SLiCKGreeK is an unknown quantity at this point
the clicking noise is natural..i asked honda about it..they said every civic does that..so dont sweat it..peace
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

unCIVilized is an unknown quantity at this point
all hondas do it??!! id go to another dealer, they are full of crap.
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

PlatnumBomb is an unknown quantity at this point
My honda does not make that noise...My friend's did...and was taken back to the dealer to get fixed...no car should make that kinda noise...
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
i believe some people in this thread are speaking of different noises... all those who hear the popping noise (like i do) -- i'm pretty sure its the hubcaps... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Good luck to the rest of ya
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard a sound when turning one time, but the radio was too loud to tell what it was, and it hasnt happened again since.. maybe there was just something on the road or something like that
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

AirForce is an unknown quantity at this point
Listen everyone. I recently lowered my car and did it myself (and my dad). Now i didn't hear this noise before, but after I did. So i turned the wheel and my dad looked for the noise. Now when you take a strut apart the top sort of curls onto the spring to keep it from turning. Well that was the problem the spring was turning and the top portion was getting caught up. The people who didn't get their car lowered, well bitch at the dealership. To those who have lowered there car, look at the spring when turning. You might just need to take the strut apart and rework things. If you hear creeks and cracks that is your springs settling in and getting use to the cars motions. That is my theory. And it worked for me. Let me know
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

Civracer3 is an unknown quantity at this point
okay every one this is the problem... YOU HAVE FRIED THE CV JOINT.. The little bearings at the end of the axle have dimples in them from driving the car to hard. Its a HONDA PROBLEM. When you turn and your moving you get the knock because the dimples line up and create gaps... take it in and get it fixed.. IF your car is lowered its not under warranty.
Old 04-23-2002
Registered!!

icey is an unknown quantity at this point
The CV joints probably are fine. The way you can tell if your CV joints need replacing is go around a corner and put power to the car, then go around the same corner and take your foot off the gas. If when you put power to the car you hear a knocking noise, then its probably the CV joints. I find it hard to believe that these have worn our already though
Old 04-27-2002
Registered!!

hyperactive is an unknown quantity at this point
in my case it was a leaking left strut- got it fixed under warranty
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

DYCE is an unknown quantity at this point
I notice that evertime I reverse in the morning and cut the wheel all the way to th left, there is a click that is heard.....im still trying to figure out what it is.....am i cutting the wheel too much to one side???[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-16-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Everybody gets that click. It's just the brake pads seating themselves... completely normal.
Old 05-19-2002
White Pony

alltech01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
well ever since the first day i dropped my car my left side clicks like loud and nasty....it makes the sound "kaplunk"....lol....well ive had my car dropped for maybe like 5 months....well ive always wondered wtf it was and i still dont know....it pisses me off[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2002
Registered!!

Erichyung is an unknown quantity at this point
i hear a loud knocking noise from my left wheel. I have a feeling it's my springs just like one of the member said.
Old 03-19-2012
Registered!!

bymitten is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: has anyone noticed a knocking noise coming from the wheels when turning?

I have a similar noise coming from my wheels I think. There are actually to separate noises; the first:

1. (Very noticeable under 20km/h) Driving on a bumpy and very uneven and cracked parking lot surface, as the car "sways" from side to side a little, I hear tons of popping and knocking from what sounds like my wheel area. And I can't tell if it's just coming from only one or more wheel(s).

2. The second sound I heard today and sounded a bit like what 3rdcivic said about the brake pads having play, happened when I was pulling out and turning to the left. I could hear a rubbing sound but it wasn't continuous ... seems like every rotation of the wheel made the rubbing sound. And I thought I've heard a similar sound when backing into a spot ... I was backing in counter-clockwise (wheel turned to the right).

Anyone have an idea of what is wrong?
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: has anyone noticed a knocking noise coming from the wheels when turning?

For those of you hearing the popping/rubbing noise, someone's got a thread on this going too, just posted in it.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ng-wheels.html

There's a little list of all the **** I had to replace because a few mechanics decided to just go with the "typical" fixes instead of actually inspecting the whole damn system. After about 1k, I can kiss that nitrous kit bye-bye that I had my eye on...

Moral of the story, look at everything first before paying for parts you may not need.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

keystroke13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: has anyone noticed a knocking noise coming from the wheels when turning?

I've had this happen to my 03' Honda Civic a lot. Every time I've taken it to the Honda dealership for repair it was rust buildup on the rotors.