Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wet Floor In 2001 LX - Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutrality is an unknown quantity at this point
Wet Floor In 2001 LX - Please Help!

Good Morning!

For the past 6 months, I've had a recurring problem with a wet floor on the driver's side of my 2001 Civic LX.

I've taken it to my mechanic, and he confirmed that the A/C drain line is clear, so that's not the cause.

A few weeks ago, I had to bring it back to him - again, no drain line issues, but he did tell me that he made an adjustment to the driver's side door - I believe he told me there was a 1/8 inch gap somewhere.

It rained hard the past few days, and I've got the same problem again - please see photos. Don't know if makes a difference, but I've also attached photos of each side where the door meets the interior.

What is the next step? Take it to a windshield place? Anything else?

Hopefully someone can help - I appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00071.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	82811   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00072.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	82812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00075.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	82813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00074.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	82814   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00073.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	82815  

Old 03-21-2012
Registered!!

em2maxamillian is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wet Floor In 2001 LX - Please Help!

To be frank, the leak could be coming from a number of different places; from under/behind the dash, to the door seal, to a leaking sunroof, to a leaking windshield gasket. I had a leaking problem with my 2005 EX but I was able to trace it to the windshield. My suggestion is, if you have the time and the patience, to test different spots on the car. Basically, get hose and let water pour onto different parts of the car and see if the water appears. That's what I did with my problem. I narrowed it down to either the sunroof or the gasket at the top of the windshield. I took the hose and ran water over each spot at different times, and it turned out to be the windshield. You may need to space your test trials apart so that you can clearly see when the water leaks in for the different areas. Don't overlap the areas too. If you're going to test the door, make sure you only pour water onto the door seals and not parts of the windshield or the roof. I find it difficult to think it's the door. Unless the weather stripping/seal is completely shot or missing, it would be difficult for that much water to get into the car through the door. I'd bet its something more to do with the windshield or the dash.
Old 03-21-2012
Registered!!

I don't have a sunroof, so that's eliminated.

The floor dried up over the weekend.

Today, we got some very hard rain, but the car was parked before it came down.

Just checked on it after a few hours, and there is a fresh (fairly small) puddle in the usual spot under the pedals. Nothing by the door, though.

Knowing this, does this seem closer to a windshield problem?

Originally Posted by em2maxamillian
To be frank, the leak could be coming from a number of different places; from under/behind the dash, to the door seal, to a leaking sunroof, to a leaking windshield gasket. I had a leaking problem with my 2005 EX but I was able to trace it to the windshield. My suggestion is, if you have the time and the patience, to test different spots on the car. Basically, get hose and let water pour onto different parts of the car and see if the water appears. That's what I did with my problem. I narrowed it down to either the sunroof or the gasket at the top of the windshield. I took the hose and ran water over each spot at different times, and it turned out to be the windshield. You may need to space your test trials apart so that you can clearly see when the water leaks in for the different areas. Don't overlap the areas too. If you're going to test the door, make sure you only pour water onto the door seals and not parts of the windshield or the roof. I find it difficult to think it's the door. Unless the weather stripping/seal is completely shot or missing, it would be difficult for that much water to get into the car through the door. I'd bet its something more to do with the windshield or the dash.
Old 03-22-2012
Registered!!

It's raining hard again today, so this time I've set a bowl on the floor underneath the pedals.

Bowl is bone dry, but the carpet is getting wetter.

Is the water coming in through the windshield but not dripping off the dash?

Anybody??
Old 03-22-2012
Registered!!

Sorry man, very hard to say. You just need to do the test I told you about with the hose to get to the bottom of it. Water can leak in from behind the dash in places that a bucket won't be able to get to (it can trickle in from behind panels, etc.).
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I am trying to think what is there that can leak..

If it was leaking at the windsheild the top of your dash should be wet.

Check all the holes where the pedals mount and the harnesses come in. (I dont know how water would make its way there with the hood closed) Maybe one of the rubbers moved or is broken.

Your best bet is to have someone spray the windshield with a hose while you sit inside the car and look. Have the person spray the top of the doors and rubber pieces around the doors. Dont be afraid to put the pressure on the nozzle high (Not saying to use a pressure washer though)

Good luck, hope you find it.
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
If it was leaking at the windsheild the top of your dash should be wet.
Not necessarily. In my case the headliner kept most of the water from leaking down onto the top surfaces of the interior. What would happen is the water would drip into the headliner and channel down the A-pillars and down behind the plastic paneling that run along the base of the door frame, actually making the carpet wet. Once I sealed the top gasket of the windshield, no more leaking or wet carpet. Of course, this was just my situation. My carpets got no where near as wet as yours.
Old 03-23-2012
Registered!!

I have been able to take the carpet up somewhat. It's significantly wet under there!

I have noticed that the black rubber piece close to/underneath the pedals (with foam on the underside) seems to be where the water is coming in, though it's tough to lift it up. That is definitely where it's extremely wet.

Now I have the same wet spot on the left side near the door again, as well as being wet by the pedals.

Not necessarily. In my case the headliner kept most of the water from leaking down onto the top surfaces of the interior. What would happen is the water would drip into the headliner and channel down the A-pillars and down behind the plastic paneling that run along the base of the door frame, actually making the carpet wet. Once I sealed the top gasket of the windshield, no more leaking or wet carpet. Of course, this was just my situation. My carpets got no where near as wet as yours.

Last edited by Neutrality; 03-23-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I was thinking the bottom of the windsheild.

However what you say makes sense. Perhaps removing those A pillar panels would help locate the leak. I assume the headliner would be soaked as well?
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Neutrality
I have been able to take the carpet up somewhat. It's significantly wet under there!

I have noticed that the black rubber piece close to/underneath the pedals (with foam on the underside) seems to be where the water is coming in, though it's tough to lift it up. That is definitely where it's extremely wet.

Now I have the same wet spot on the left side near the door again, as well as being wet by the pedals.
I dont believe there is any holes there?
Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

yes, eventually the head liner does soak through and it starts to drip around where the headliner meets the A-pillars and even by where the rear-view mirror is placed. Unfortunately Neutrality, judging by the amount of water coming into your car, it must be a place where water is channeled, perhaps maybe there is a leak in the vents where the car takes in air for the air conditioning system or something like that. In my case, I figured that because so much water was entering the car, it had to be from a place where the water is channeled (like a gutter or an area where the water collects).
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

donperry is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had to deal with a leaking problem like such. I noticed water in my trunk, and on the floors. Turned out to be a missing tailight sealant - water was leaking through the taillights and traveled to find its way into the cabin in various areas like under my pedals. When I say leaking through the taillight I mean the miniscule gap between the plastic of the light and the body of the car.

Purchasing butyl rubber and place that between the light and the body and screw it up solves the problem. Be sure to place the rubber so it isn't noticed from the outside.

Now i dont have ANY leaks whatsoever. If this worked let me know, and let others know as well.

Last edited by donperry; 03-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2013
Registered!!

swellmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the exact same problem with my sons 2003 DX i cant find the leak, i sprayed rubber sealer everywhere i could get to. Still leaking, its frustrating.If anyone has the answer please help.My guess if there are two of us with this problem, its common.
Old 07-22-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Actually, it's not that common problem. This is one post from a year ago. Spraying rubber sealer sounds like a temporary solution, not one that would last. You need to find where the leak is coming from so you can fix the underlying issue. My suggestion is to remove the headliner and spray to see if you can find where the water comes in. My bet-if you check under the rubber on top of your windshield you'll find it has rusted from someone poorly replacing the windshield and that is letting water in.
Old 07-22-2013
Registered!!

swellmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by got2run5
Actually, it's not that common problem. This is one post from a year ago. Spraying rubber sealer sounds like a temporary solution, not one that would last. You need to find where the leak is coming from so you can fix the underlying issue. My suggestion is to remove the headliner and spray to see if you can find where the water comes in. My bet-if you check under the rubber on top of your windshield you'll find it has rusted from someone poorly replacing the windshield and that is letting water in.
Would a new windshield solve the issue? , its probably do for one anyway