Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Automatic Transmission - has problem with locking into "drive", need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POQbum can only hope to improve
Automatic Transmission - has problem with locking into "drive", need help!

I've had this problem for a while. When I go from "park" to "drive" (or reverse to drive) I notice the green light indicator isn't on, or if it is on, it flickers off and on shortly after I start driving forward.

Usually when the green light indicator (on the dash) isn't on for "Drive" but my stick is in fact in drive, I hear a lot of grinding, so I shift through the gears and eventually it sticks into drive and I get going.

Once I get it properly into "drive" I have no issues with it shifting from 1-5 gears. It's just when I move the actually stick.. it will often not lock into the gear.

Can someone please let me know what type of problem this is, and how much it would cost to fix?

My car:
AUTOmatic trans.
2005 Civic Coupe LX

Any help appreciated, cheers.
Old 02-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Automatic Transmission - has problem with locking into "drive", need help!

Oh, is THAT what kind of car you have?

Put that on your profile. Also note if it is a US or Canadian market car, or something else. There are differences.

The problem has to do with the "transmission range switch", and
it could be as simple as an adjustment of the switch, the shift cable, or the shifter.
It could be bad.
It could be a lot of things.
It could be cheap, or not.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

POQbum can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by ezone
The problem has to do with the "transmission range switch", and
it could be as simple as an adjustment of the switch, the shift cable, or the shifter.
What's a "transmission range switch"?

I've been searching up the problem (without much success) but I've come across "transmission linkage" and it seems to fit the problem, but I don't trust myself to declare that's the real issue since I know practically nothing about the mechanics of a car and especially transmission.

My OP expresses the problem as best as I can, but to re clarify:
The light indicator appears to be fully correct, because when it is not lit up, the car grinds, and when it is lit up, it'll shift fine.

So.. my physical stick is in Drive. The light on the dash will be off on all gears. The car will grind.
After I figit with the transmission, shift it to D2, D3, maybe neutral, then back to drive, the light will turn on properly for "D". The car will shift fine.

*(ignore this if it's too confusing) -- though.. *sometimes* that light will turn off again while accelerating hard, and the car will grind a bit and rev up really high before shifting. But I think THAT issue is the same problem, the problem I think is that my transmission is not locking fully into gear.

Last edited by POQbum; 02-25-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Your SYMPTOMS are all happening because the PCM has no idea what gear you have the shifter in.

The PCM controls the shifting, until it can't. Then it defaults.

Google Honda bulletin 05-058, and http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...GHT+SIDE+COVER

You could have any of several possible issues causing the same result.
Shift cable and linkage comes to mind as a possibility.

You need to get it to a competent tech that can take a little time to properly diagnose.
Old 07-26-2012
Registered!!

gabishara is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a civic ex 2002, and I have same exact issue. I need to mention that I recently had the transmission re-built by a lousy mechanic.I took it to a mechanic today and he thinks it is the switch, I will let you know if problem was taken care of or not, soon. Thanks

Last edited by gabishara; 07-27-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2012
Registered!!

gabishara is an unknown quantity at this point

Bingo, My shifter works fine now after replacing the Transmission range switch. all good. FYI, to find in my civic 2002 ex, remove the passenger front tire, and you will see it mounted behind the wheel. Thanks for suggesting to replace switch and good luck for all
Old 07-29-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Thanks for the info and the update on this problem.