Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wade623 is an unknown quantity at this point
head gaskets

can some one explain to me what the difference between the multi layer steel gaskets and the single layer graphite? ones are? is one kind better than the other? also what is the difference between d17a1 gaskets and the d17a2 gaskets i know d17a2 is the vtec head but whats the actual difference for the gaskets
Old 01-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: head gaskets

My opinion, and I have been dealing with other manufacturers that have been using MLS for 2 decades already:
MLS is better.
But here's a few caveats...
Head and deck surfaces require a much finer surface finish (RA) to make a good seal.
Head and deck must be almost perfectly flat to make a good seal (tighter specs).
Less room for error.

The MLS doesn't seem to wear out from thermal cycling the same way that a composite gasket can (crushed fire rings).

MLS withstands thermal events better than composite, but only to a certain extent. Too much heat will warp the head no matter what gasket you have.

I think they would be even better if Honda had used TTY head bolts (on those that didn't, like the 7th gens that blow head gaskets).

Sealing technology has changed for the better.

I don't know if you can upgrade from composite to MLS easily.

No idea about the difference between the 2 engines. Set each gasket side by side and compare them?
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

when i ordered a head gasket the listing was for d17a1 but they sent me the one for d17a2(vtec) so i called them and the refunded my money so i was going to order another one but i want to make sure im going to get the best one i can so i dont have to do it again so thats why im asking about this also it seens like most of the gaskets that i looked through are mls but im not sure what these cars originally came with though

Last edited by wade623; 01-25-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

well i went out and bought another gasket and it looked exactly the same as the one i got in the mail so go figure on that. any way i also was having a hard time finding specs on head bolts so i found it along with a list of other models of cars
d17 14, 36, 49 FT/LBS
http://www.aera.org/downloads/Torque3.pdf other models click on link