Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ac belt question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HbrandNinja will become famous soon enough
Ac belt question.

I'm about to remove all a/c components from my 03 civic ex but i noticed that the belt on the ac compressor is shared by atleast the alternator also if not more things. so my question is what would i have to do to remove that ac compressor and still have a belt power the alternator and whatever else is utilizing that belt once the compressor is removed?
Old 01-23-2012
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ac belt question.

Originally Posted by HbrandNinja
I'm about to remove all a/c components from my 03 civic ex but i noticed that the belt on the ac compressor is shared by atleast the alternator also if not more things. so my question is what would i have to do to remove that ac compressor and still have a belt power the alternator and whatever else is utilizing that belt once the compressor is removed?
Nothing. The power steering pump is driven off the "smaller wheel" on the crank pulley. The A/C shares a belt with the alternator (off the "bigger wheel"). If you remove the A/C, you would just need to get a smaller belt for the alternator and the crank pulley.

I believe this is what you would need:

Gates K060338 (34 3/8” or 872MM) Belt or similar

I'm contemplating on doing the same this summer. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HbrandNinja will become famous soon enough
Re: Ac belt question.

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Nothing. The power steering pump is driven off the "smaller wheel" on the crank pulley. The A/C shares a belt with the alternator (off the "bigger wheel"). If you remove the A/C, you would just need to get a smaller belt for the alternator and the crank pulley.

I believe this is what you would need:

Gates K060338 (34 3/8” or 872MM) Belt or similar

I'm contemplating on doing the same this summer. Good luck.
great thanks for the info.