Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HUGE Rear Strut Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation HUGE Rear Strut Problem

Picture explains it all. What would cause something like this?
Name:  561a6e4f.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  121.9 KB
Old 12-28-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HUGE Rear Strut Problem

I'd guess you need to buy a few parts now or take it apart and put it together right.

Are you using factory struts or aftermarket?

Looks like it wasn't assembled right or something didn't fit right when you put it together.

One rubber donut #8 is supposed to be on top of washer #11, and the rest of the bumpstopper set #14 15 16, and all those are supposed to be on the bottom side of the narrow ring in your base (#9). It looks like both rubber donuts were above the ring in your pic.
Or the washer #11 got the hole too big and slipped down off of the step in the strut shaft.

The only things that should be above that narrow ring is one donut #8, its washer #1, and the nut and collar # 2 and #18.
Everything else should have been on the shaft before it went up into the base.

HTH
Old 12-28-2011
Busy Speeding!!

SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

The strut is a replacement not from majestic or made by Honda, so it didnt come with all those pieces. My friend put together that strut and I put together the other one. The one I put together is fine and he screwed that one up really bad. I'm heading to the junkyard tomorrow to get a new upper mount
Old 12-28-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is the mount really damaged? (I assume you mean the #9 base in the diagram....It looks ok in the pic but I can only see half of the inner ring.)

I'd probably try to assemble it correctly first. If all the parts are still there.
Old 12-28-2011
Busy Speeding!!

I think the rubber piece in my picture is pressed in there hardcore (not right now obviously lol). I read that if you didn't tighten the nut all the way it will do this (or if you forget the washer on the top. If I could get the rubber piece back in ther I would but it looks close to impossible
Old 12-28-2011

Get the nut off and the rubber pieces should relax. Right now they are being squashed out under the pressure of the nut.
Old 12-28-2011

Actually, if you didn't have the washer on top then the shaft would have gone out the bottom of the hole, not up. You may be missing the bottom washer to do this (if it isn't part of the sandwich sticking up right now)
Old 12-28-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I don't think it's a result of an incorrectly assembled top mount, at least without seeing the mount disassembled to see exactly what's going on, I think it's a result of the spring being improperly seated as you mentioned in a previous thread. Being incorrectly seated the damper bottomed out and pushed through the mount..
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
Right now they are being squashed out under the pressure of the nuts.
lolololololololololol!!! Fixed it for ya.